HDV workflow in Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:06 PM   #1
Major Player

HDV workflow in Vegas

I would like to hear some suggestions on how some of you do your HDV workflow in Vegas. I cannot seem to render a file to put on DVD that is as good as my old XL2 in SD. The HDV files look beautiful, but when I compress them to DVD, they look worse than SD in my opinion. I have tried about every type of file imaginable and I assume my problem is which codec and the settings. So, with that said, if someone could enlighten me as to the BEST way and file type and settings to get my XHA1 HDV files to a DVD through Vegas and Architect, I would be happy as heck! Thanks. J
John L. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:14 PM   #2
Major Player

I shoot in HDV 50i with my XH-A1,
capture and edit with properties set to HDV 1080-50i (I'm in PAL land)
once project is finished I render out to MPEG2 DVD Architect Pal Widescreen video stream
render audio out as ac3

open DVD Architect and set project properties to PAL Widescreen
Author DVD menues etc
Select Make DVD button and burn disc.

Quality I am seeing is way WAY in excess of what my old SD footage looked like.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for your info. I have been shooting in 1080 24F with my A1 and editing the M2t file then I tried Rendering Mpeg2 but it doesn't look to good to me. I believe it compresses too much. What bit rate settings are you using or are you using the default settings? J
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I render to HDV then use TMPGEnc 4.0 Express to convert to a DVD file, then I use Ulead Movie factory to author the DVD.
Tony Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #5

John...

The default MPEG2 bitrate settings in vegas are too low. Reset them to 8 Mbps for both min and max.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Min/max at 8 Mbps? That sounds far higher than I'd be comfortable to send to clients, let alone for mass distribution ... :) We have a bunch of dvd players of varying ages and I find that min=5500 max=6500 is about as high as I can go without introducing skips in some devices. NOTE! 2-pass encoding gives a big quality boost for no extra bandwidth, but at the expense of render time.
Kris Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #7

Kris...

Max allowable is 9600bps, but this leaves no room for audio. Every pro I know uses 8000bps. Sony recommends 8000. Neither they nor myself have ever experienced playback probs at this datarate. You may well do better with VBR, provided there's not a lot of pans in the video, but I would suggest max 8000, min 6000.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Cheers Bill, that's interesting! I'd love to hear more people's experiences? I've definitely read recommendations to keep it as low as ~5Mbps, my own tests found that to be overkill .. we saw very occasional problems at the ~7.5+Mbps level, with 5.5-6.5 being very very solid, and not a single skip (seen or reported) in a long time.
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Oh, and I believe it's 9800 max, I use 9.8Mbps CBR when making "web masters" .. ie. mpegs from which to derive web/streaming versions of projects.
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #10
Regular Crew

To Pass or Not 2-Pass?

I've kinda glad this issue has been raised as I've being fixing the maximum, minimum and average all at 8000 or whatever is suitable given the length of my project.

I 2-pass 99% of the time, though in regards to DV many folk have questioned whether there is anything visual to be gained when rendering out to mpeg2.

I don't know what folk think of HDV 2-pass and the merits of rendering out to mpeg2 for DVD delivery.

Neil
Neil McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #11
Major Player

I have been playing with the bitrates in an attempt to get a better quality, I was able to get better quality with the XL2 cameras, but with the A1, rendering from HDV down to SD, I just cannot get a good quality DVD. Many things look like they are waving around in places on the video...it just looks cheap. I had the problem with the XL2 in the beginning but after toying with those bitrates, that cleared up. But not so with my A1. I have been trying to render to MPEG2 and then burn in DVArch. Of course I have tried rendering to WMV too. Still no luck. When I render to HD it looks great on computer, but cannot burn that. Keep suggestions coming. J
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #12
Major Player

Maybe I got it wrong from the start but I render the HD to SD .avi.

I then pick the .avi file up in Architect and mpeg it there as I've always felt that re-doing the mpeg twice leads to loss?
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post

I then pick the .avi file up in Architect and mpeg it there as I've always felt that re-doing the mpeg twice leads to loss?
I actually do the same thing. I ve had the same issue with direct to conversion to mpeg for DVD. It seems that the reencoding for HDV direct mpg for DVD has some issues. I've noticed this in both Vegas 7 and Premiere 2.0...
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post

Bill or Chris,

What settings do you specifically use while rendering to SD .AVI? Resolution, Bit Rate, etc, etc.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #15

Due to the way vegas 7 and DVDA software is written, you're better off rendering to NTSC DVDA inside Vegas, rather than rely on DVDA to do it.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...