How are people backing up m2t files that are too big? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 26th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #1
Trustee

How are people backing up m2t files that are too big?

I have a load of m2t files from Vegas that are too big for my DVD burner - how are people doing this?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #2
Major Player

I saw recently for sale at newegg.com a 500 gig SATA drive for $99.

That's like twenty cents a gig.

The next generation discs, like a 25 gig Blu-Ray is like $20

That's about seventy nine cent a gig, but once prices come down and the next generation media[along with fast recordable speeds...currently looks like they burn at 2x speeds] it will probably be a good option.

For now maybe, just back it back up to tape?
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #3
Trustee

No, the problem is not the hard drive - it is backing it up to another medium. My hard drive recently went and I don't want to run into the problem I am having right now, so I want to find another medium to save the files. I don't know, can DVD span video clips?
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Best I can come up with is to manually capture your m2t footage in manageable sections (approx. 4.5gb or 22 minutes) from your camera to your hard drive and then burn each section as a data file on DVD.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #5
Trustee

I can't believe there isn't anything for this - or why someone wouldn't come up with something, RARing can archive across multiple floppies, so I would think the same technology would work for other things, but then again I am not a software designer.
I might have to buy a hard drive and use it only for storage purposes. That is disappointing.
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #6
Major Player

Are the .m2t files are ready to be sent back to the camera?

If I had the finished project that is waiting to eventually be authored to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, I would just send the stream back to the camera and on to tape as a backup.

When you are ready to author the next generation HD disc, just dump the raw .m2t tape back to your computer. Demux it the raw mpeg and audio stream and use it in your authoring program. [There should be no quality loss at this point right?]

As for Hard Drive reliability--at the prices Hard Drives are going for nowadays, it seems to me that a RAID would be an affordable option.

On the Mac, you can do it already with the internal bays, and choosing to format two internal drives as a raid array.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #7
Trustee

My mistake by not giving enough information - the mt2 files are just to be backed up for future use RAW - not to be played on a DVD.

Last edited by David Delaney; May 27th, 2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

LTO3 tape is the pro way to go ... but the drives aren't cheap
Kris Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #9
Trustee

I am hoping for a digital alternative in software, thanks though.
I heard that gsplit and others, but I have no experience with them.
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney View Post
No, the problem is not the hard drive - it is backing it up to another medium. My hard drive recently went and I don't want to run into the problem I am having right now, so I want to find another medium to save the files. I don't know, can DVD span video clips?
You can use TSSplitter (Lossless Splitting and Joining of MPEG Transport Stream Files) and then burn the segments to DVD:

http://www.ffprojects.net/tssplitter/tssplitter.htm

TSSplitter supports both MPEG2 and H.264 files.
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #11
Trustee

thank you, I'll try that.
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #12
Regular Crew

3 DVDs per minidv tape, plus the time to split/remerge them .. sounds like a time-consuming hassle ..?

Can obviously respect that you have your reasons though- let us know how the splitting program works for you, would be cool to know if it's possible!
Kris Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney View Post
Why not just back up to more than one drive? HDD's are still better than DVD. I think you might be biased because of this one bad experience - I wouldn't abandon HDD's just yet.
Joe Marques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #14
Major Player

If you work on a Mac, you can use Roxio Toast 8. Toast can span one file across multiple DVD/CDs. It's very easy with Toast.- http://www.roxio.com

For the PC Roxio make Easy Media Creator 9 - http://partner.roxio.com/enu/oem/gen...c/default.html
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #15
Regular Crew

External hard drives can be a great way to go as well. There are a number of really great Firewire & USB drives available now at good prices. I've got a 500 gig WD myBook that's very performant. It's small and portable as well and I can hook it up to any machine I want to. If you think about storage space, that 500 gigs can hold the equivalent of over 50 dual layer DVDs. It's smaller in size than 50 DVDs and I can read & write to it much faster that I can burn all that data to DVD! You can even daisy chain them together, up to 48 over firewire I believe.

--Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...