DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   missing video stream (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/95281-missing-video-stream.html)

Andrew Jezierski May 29th, 2007 10:44 AM

missing video stream

I was sent an .avi file recorded by a digital cam. I can play it using WMPlayer but in Vegas (7.0e) only the audio stream is visible. The trimmer shows media offline message for the video

Mike Kujbida May 29th, 2007 11:43 AM

Based on past experience with my Canon, the file is actually using an MJPEG codec.
The easiest thing to do is to install the demo version of the MainConcept MJPEG codec.
As long as you're only using it for playback purposes, it won't watermark the output - and even if it does, it's only $21 to buy it.

edit: Andrew, seeing as how we're both in Windsor, we really do have to get together one of these days.
I work steady days at St. Clair College.

Andrew Jezierski May 29th, 2007 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 688395)
Based on past experience with my Canon, the file is actually using an MJPEG codec.
The easiest thing to do is to install the demo version of the MainConcept MJPEG codec.
As long as you're only using it for playback purposes, it won't watermark the output - and even if it does, it's only $21 to buy it.

edit: Andrew, seeing as how we're both in Windsor, we really do have to get together one of these days.
I work steady days at St. Clair College.

Thanks Mike - as always appreciate your quick response. The file shows .avi extension in properties but you maybe right, it also shows Canon software being involved. I'll try your suggestion.
I live in the county and somehow always in a hurry when I am in Windsor but I would love to get together as well as see your set up at the College.
Andrew

Edward Troxel May 29th, 2007 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Jezierski
The file shows .avi extension in properties

".avi" doesn't mean anything. Vegas will load whatever you have a codec for. However, ".avi" can hold many different codecs - some of which you may not have a codec installed which will allow Vegas to read it.

Just because it's an AVI file, don't assume it can be read.

Mike Kujbida May 29th, 2007 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Jezierski (Post 688402)
Thanks Mike - as always appreciate your quick response. The file shows .avi extension in properties but you maybe right, it also shows Canon software being involved. I'll try your suggestion.
I live in the county and somehow always in a hurry when I am in Windsor but I would love to get together as well as see your set up at the College.
Andrew

You're welcome Andrew.
It worked for me so I'm sure it'll work for you.
BTW, I'm a county guy as well (just outside of Essex).