DVD-R Playability at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 30th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #1
New Boot

DVD-R Playability

When I play "store bought" videos in my DVD player, it says "DVD-Video" when it loads. But when I play DVDs that I have created in DVDA it says "DVD-R Video Mode".

Is there a setting in DVDA that I need to change to make it think my DVDs are "DVD-Video"? Some sort of "bit" that should be set?

Bill

Last edited by Bill Westbury; May 30th, 2007 at 06:21 PM.
Bill Westbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Is it possible that your DVD player will only recognize the DVD +R format for homemade discs and you're using DVD -Rs?
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #3
New Boot

The DVD plays fine, it just takes longer to load up than "store bought" ones and doesn't say "DVD-Video". What type of blanks are used for mass duplication?
Bill Westbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Major Player

What you're calling "store bought" are replicated DVDs, not duplicated. The discs are molded in plastic from a glass master in a very controlled manufacturing process.

Duplicated DVDs are physically different than replicated DVDs in that they are "burned" more or less the same way you make a DVD on your computer. DVD-Rs have always had lower compatibility than manufactured discs, although it has gotten better with the newer players. But some players have a tough time reading certain DVD-Rs, or can't read them at all.

In my experience buying the highest quality DVD-R media you can find goes a long way toward ensuring compatibility, and I'm told by a replicating company that Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are the best. FWIW

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...