HDV workflow without the flickering lines at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 4th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #1
Major Player

HDV workflow without the flickering lines

After several days of trying this and that, I have decided I will be using this workflow:

Capture with HDLink by Cineform using the intermediate files and dumping the others.

Editing in Vegas with project properties matching how I shot or in some cases I reduced to 720P. I keep everything progressive.

Render as HDV file..I have done this with .wmv at 6mbs and .avi and M2t all with same success. .AVi is much bigger but renders much faster than .wmv. I use the Cineform HD codec in an .avi render configured to high hd. I rendered to 720P all progressive (obviously).

Then open DVD Arch. and choose the rendered file. Click the menu carrot above the picture and highlight the filename of the rendered file..then to the right click "reduce interlace flicker". Let architect render the HDV file to SD and it will be line free. At least it is for me, and the picture is great. I also rendered from the intermediate cineform files to SD MPEG raising all three Variable bit rate to 8,000. If you are rendering to 24P, make sure you choose the one with 2+3 pulldown. Then send the file to architect also clicking reduce interlace flicker. It comes out good this way also. If anyone has any other ideas about getting rid of the flickering lines, please post it here. J

I have found my favorite look using the 30P or 30F with my A1 Canon HDV.
John L. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L. Miller View Post
After several days of trying this and that, I have decided I will be using this workflow:

Capture with HDLink by Cineform using the intermediate files and dumping the others.

Editing in Vegas with project properties matching how I shot or in some cases I reduced to 720P. I keep everything progressive.

Render as HDV file..I have done this with .wmv at 6mbs and .avi and M2t all with same success. .AVi is much bigger but renders much faster than .wmv. I use the Cineform HD codec in an .avi render configured to high hd. I rendered to 720P all progressive (obviously).

Then open DVD Arch. and choose the rendered file. Click the menu carrot above the picture and highlight the filename of the rendered file..then to the right click "reduce interlace flicker". Let architect render the HDV file to SD and it will be line free. At least it is for me, and the picture is great. I also rendered from the intermediate cineform files to SD MPEG raising all three Variable bit rate to 8,000. If you are rendering to 24P, make sure you choose the one with 2+3 pulldown. Then send the file to architect also clicking reduce interlace flicker. It comes out good this way also. If anyone has any other ideas about getting rid of the flickering lines, please post it here. J

I have found my favorite look using the 30P or 30F with my A1 Canon HDV.
i'd imagine that if your final output is SD you could be better off recording the material as SD in the first place - this way you avoid the compression artefacts that are sometimes all too obvious in HDV.
Mauritius Seeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #3
Major Player

The XH A1 does not record in SD, it outputs SD but only after the camera does the compression. Even in SD, with my XL2, I had to tweak.
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
If you are rendering to 24P, make sure you choose the one with 2+3 pulldown.
Why not render to a true 24p MPEG-2 file and do away with pulldown altogether? The DVD player will insert it upon playback.
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Jarrod, I guess that rendering in True 24P would be fine, I tried it more than once and for what ever reason, I was not satisfied with the final product. I am certainly not an expert, just posting what seems to be working for me. J
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

really? according to this article and the canon website it can record in dv:
http://www.dv.com/reviews/reviews_it...leId=196602584

Quote:
The XH A1 does not record in SD, it outputs SD but only after the camera does the compression. Even in SD, with my XL2, I had to tweak.
Mauritius Seeger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...