DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Architect Alternative (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/96124-architect-alternative.html)

Jeff Harper June 8th, 2007 09:13 PM

Architect Alternative

While I love Vegas, I am extremely envious of my friend's ability to make amazing DVD menus with Final Cut Pro, especially the newest version.

Architect is stable, simple, etc., and produces fine DVD's, but it is so boring. Good lord, it has the same lame backgrounds and themes it has had for ages. Technically, it is a superior, extremely well designed program, but that is all.

Can anyone recommend a higher level DVD authoring program that has lots of bells and whistles?

Edward Troxel June 8th, 2007 09:25 PM

How about......... DVD Architect!

Instead of using the built-in themes, instead build your own DVD menus using other methods. For example, you could create the menus in Vegas instead as well as many other options. I've seen some amazing menus created in DVD Architect.

Jeff Harper June 8th, 2007 09:34 PM

I understand that I can make themes, etc, Edward, thanks anyway. I get tired having to make everything myself.

Even Vegas, which I do love, is tired. To get a dumb cube transition I had to find one and bring it in. Granted, I only used it once, but that kind of stuff should be basic. I am considering a new PC, but I have to take a look at Mac at this point. I can't even imagine the learning curve, but the possiblilities seem so limitless with Final Cut.

Thanks for your suggestion Edward.

Douglas Spotted Eagle June 8th, 2007 09:45 PM

Then perhaps look at modifying PixelPops menu packs and use those in DVD A, or build a library for DVDA in Vegas.
Spend a little time in the FCP forums and then decide how "limitless" it is. DVD Studio Pro is a GREAT app, no doubt. It has some fine templates too. None of our clients would go for that, because custom/made per project is what they expect of us. I agree that the stock templates for DVD A are pretty weak by comparison, but if I understand you correctly, you WANT? cheap cube transitions, by example? (BTW, FCP doesn't come with that particular request either) Oddly enough, this sort of transition is what turns *off* most editors and professional clients. Generally those sorts of transitions are found in the consumer packages. As you've found, they are available for Vegas through free plugs, or you can step up to very pro transitions with packages from ProDad, Pixelan, or New Blue.

Dave Stern June 8th, 2007 09:48 PM

dvdlab pro .... www.mediachance.com

Jeff Harper June 8th, 2007 10:07 PM

Please note I said "dumb cube transition", because I understand it can be cheesy...but for one project it was absolutely perfect for one transition, and really made the intro for me. That was a year ago and I haven't needed it again!

Thanks Spot and Dave...I did check out DVD LabPro, it is interesting to say the least. I will also look into PixelPops, etc.

I going to play with my friends new 8K mac next week and see what is it really all about...the 3d stuff for the DVD authoring seems really cool though.

Alastair Brown June 8th, 2007 10:29 PM

I'll just add my vote for some new buttons and themes. I will continue to use DVDA but......been looking at the same buttons and themes for ages now. Would be nice to see some new ones for a little inspiration.

Peter Jefferson June 9th, 2007 12:10 AM

what yoru forgeting is that DVDa templates are jsut that.. tempaltes to offer a variety of "tweaks" BUT to havet eh base elemetns taken care of..
ie, DVDa takes care of the basic, you take care of the details..

if u thin any otehr DVD authoring tool comes close to what you can do in regard to time vs output, then you wont find any other app which is as efficient.

DVDlab proHD would be the next one on the lsit

Dave Stern June 9th, 2007 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 694259)
Please note I said "dumb cube transition", because I understand it can be cheesy...but for one project it was absolutely perfect for one transition, and really made the intro for me. That was a year ago and I haven't needed it again!

Thanks Spot and Dave...I did check out DVD LabPro, it is interesting to say the least. I will also look into PixelPops, etc.

I going to play with my friends new 8K mac next week and see what is it really all about...the 3d stuff for the DVD authoring seems really cool though.

hi Jeff - dvdlab is interesting... I use it when I don't use DVDA ... dvdlab has some nice fonts and shadows that really look nice on menus with very little effort... also, the automated menu transitions which fade from one menu to another are nice (it's got a little mpeg encoder in it..not quick but fine for menu transitions)...also, I've customized some templates for scene selection menus which I like ... it's got a ton of little things to spice up a disk.

I does have a bit of a learning curve to it, but once you've done a few projects, you get very comfortale with it, and it's nice level of controls and customization it allows. no 'real' preview like Dvd lab but other than that I really like it - a lot of spice and gizmos, and the images have been solid - no complaints from anyone of disks not working, etc. (in fact if they took dvda's solid platform, added dvdlabs spice, wow that would be killer, but either are great on their own).

Jeff Harper June 9th, 2007 07:23 AM

It does look like an excellent supplement to DVDA, Dave. Thank you very much for the tip.

John L. Miller June 9th, 2007 03:17 PM

I have also downloaded the DVDlab demo. I plan to try it next week. J