DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Fast Motion background combined with Real Time (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/96244-fast-motion-background-combined-real-time.html)

Randy Bernard June 10th, 2007 02:34 PM

Fast Motion background combined with Real Time

I'm looking to create a short video, where the background (people on the street, traffic, etc) is moving at warp speed. But I have two actors moving at normal speed having a conversation mixed in the crowd of people. At a couple of points during the dialog, I would like to slow down the "frantic" background as they continue their conversation.

Imagine busy New York sidewalk where everyone is moving fast except the two people having the conversation.

I first thought of just filming the background...speeding up the velocity in editing. Then greenscreening the two actors.

Other options or examples?

Thanks in advance

Edward Troxel June 10th, 2007 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Bernard
I first thought of just filming the background...speeding up the velocity in editing. Then greenscreening the two actors.

Sounds like a reasonable method to me!

Bennis Hahn June 10th, 2007 06:41 PM

Middle of this clip: http://www.sprocketpictures.com/will...s_the_view.htm

I did a similar effect in the middle of this clip. It was all rotoscope work. Locked off shot, shot once for slowmo and once for real time. A lot easier then greenscreen and a lot less fake looking.

Voitek Nosovski June 11th, 2007 04:53 AM

Hey Bennis.

Saw your website, stunning work.
Can you please explain how excatly do you achieved this effect in Vegas or if you dont feel like writing this please post which keywords i should use when looking for it. I tried to look up rotoscope but youtube video tutorials are about something quite different.

Let me know, thaks

Voitek

Randy Bernard June 11th, 2007 08:26 AM

Hey Bennis,

Exactly what I was looking for in the shot. I agree with Voitek, any more detail you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

I understand that the background and foreground folks would be shot exactly the same locked down angle, position. I would put the background on one track and increase velocity to speed things up.

Are you doing something frame by frame (ie removing the background) to get your guy walking in slowmotion on the track above the background?

Mark Harmer June 11th, 2007 11:15 AM

You can do something like this with just one camera, no green-screen, but only for a limited speed-change. I gather the technique is to get the artist to mime to a slow-speed audio playback during the take, while everything else happens as normal around them. The resulting video is then corrected back up to normal speed in the NLE. When you do this, the artist will appear to be moving / playing / speaking at normal speed, but everything happening round the artist (and of course any camera moves) will be speeded-up.

It would only work for limited speed-changes for practical reasons. However, the effect in Bennis's clip is just amazing and yes please - I too would love to know how you did this...you've got me intrigued!

Voitek Nosovski June 11th, 2007 12:10 PM

the simple slow motion with lip synch is quiet easy. now compositing two shots of the same place is still a secret to me. i would love to learn how to do this.

Mike Kujbida June 11th, 2007 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voitek Nosovski (Post 695264)
now compositing two shots of the same place is still a secret to me. i would love to learn how to do this.

Check out Matthew Chaboud's Two Cats From One tutorial for some ideas.

Mark Harmer June 14th, 2007 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 695287)
Check out Matthew Chaboud's Two Cats From One tutorial for some ideas.

Great tip - thanks! I've never tried compositing and once I'd seen the "Two Cats from One" project and worked out what he did, I've avoided tons of proper work by having fun compositing endless bits of video together. I'm used to photoshop and it's a similar process only you get to move the mask around if you want. Very addictive and wonderfully satisfying!