DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 7 project file (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/96289-vegas-7-project-file.html)

Ben Hayflick June 11th, 2007 08:47 AM

Vegas 7 project file

I just installed Vegas 6 + the upgrade to 7.0 ($249 from B&H).

First I uninstalled the Trial version (7d) I was using. Then I installed 6, then the 7 upgrade from the CDs, and finally I upgraded with the 7.0d version downloaded from Sony's website. Everything appears fine, however, two quick questions:

1. When I look at my project files, under Type they say "Sony Vegas 7.0 TRIAL." Is this a problem?
2. Do I have to leave Vegas 6.0 installed on my computer? I plan to only use 7d so it's a waste of space to keep 6 installed.

Ian Stark June 13th, 2007 09:29 AM

Hi Ben,

Only a guess but if you save the files again in the full v7 does the trial info go away? I'm just thinking that maybe these are files you saved when running the trial.

Not aware of any reason why you would need to retain 6. I keep previous versions for a few months until I'm happy with the update then ditch them.

Ian . . .

Edward Troxel June 13th, 2007 03:16 PM

You went through a lot of unnecessary work. Instead of all of the uninstalling and installing, simply entering the Vegas 7 code in the original 7.0d demo installation would have been sufficient.

Guy Bruner June 13th, 2007 05:23 PM

Also, Vegas is up to version 7.0e. You might want to just download and install that to bring yourself current.

Ben Hayflick June 13th, 2007 09:44 PM

Ian, nope. But a fresh install did the trick. The project files are now "Sony Vegas 7.0." I've deleted 6.0 (and the media manager) and all's well.

Edward, where were you when I needed you most? ;)

Guy, I've heard bad things about 7e. Not the case?

Guy Bruner June 14th, 2007 05:54 AM

Ben,
I haven't had problems with 7.0e, except I can't edit my AVCHD files with it because Sony is procrastinating on including Panasonic AVCHD. What kind of problems are being reported...and where. I've not seen any complaints.

Ben Hayflick June 14th, 2007 11:36 AM

I read that people who'd upgraded from 7d to 7e were having all kinds of problems (crashes and so on - can't remember what exactly). I read that either on the Vegas forums on dvinfo.net and/or dvxuser.com. People who'd installed 7e then wanted to roll back to 7d, which was problematic until somebody posted a link to all the versions of Vegas somewhere on Sony's site.

So I just decided to stick with 7d, which eveyone seemed to say was the most solid version. Should I reconsider? What advantage does 7e bring over 7d?

Guy Bruner June 14th, 2007 11:42 AM

Nothing significant unless you want to edit Sony AVCHD files.

Ben Hayflick June 14th, 2007 11:45 AM

Thanks. I've got no need for AVCHD for the moment (Canon XHA1 owner).

Steven Bills June 14th, 2007 12:23 PM

I upgraded to E from D and every time I'd load up a project, one that I had started in D, E would freeze up while building the peaks for all the audio. I switched back to D, and haven't had a problem since.

SB