DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   volume control on clip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/96428-volume-control-clip.html)

Rick Johnston June 13th, 2007 04:07 AM

volume control on clip

how do i change the volume on a single clip in the timeline.thanks rick

Don Bloom June 13th, 2007 05:08 AM

Control V will insert a Volume Envelope on the TIMELINE. Set your cursor to the beginning of the CLIP, double click to set a POINT set another one right next to it-go to the end of the CLIP and do the same-now adjust the volume envelope using the 2 INNER points OR you can add another audio track-move the clip to that and use the level control in the track header OR send the 2 different tracks to 2 different busses and use the busses to adjust the levels to the master.
Vegas will almost always give you 2 to 3 diffeent ways of doing something. Pick the one that suits you and the project best.

Don

Douglas Spotted Eagle June 13th, 2007 07:37 AM

Or (on a single clip) you can place the cursor at the top of the clip, your cursor changes to a hand/finger. Click and downward drag the volume of that clip. Don's mentioned method is the best overall, but for a single clip only...this method works best, IMO.

Peter J Alessandria June 13th, 2007 10:24 AM

Well call me crazy but here's another pet peeve of mine with Vegas. (BTW - been using Vegas since ver.4) Why not have the volume adjusting line on an individual clip in the center of the event, rather than at the top. Then if you move the line up above the center point, it increases the event volume, below, it lowers the volume. Why only lower the volume on a clip level????

Volume envelopes on a track basis have their place. But what if I have 50 events and only want to change the volume on one? Creating four adjustment points on a volume envelope just to raise the volume on one clip is a pain - esp. when 9 times out of 10 those points don't travel well when you move an event (yes I have "link evelopes to events" or whatever it is selected.)

Douglas Spotted Eagle June 13th, 2007 10:30 AM

Because with digital audio that is recorded correctly, you rarely want to increase the gain. It's not like analog audio where you have some headroom.
On the whole, it's easily argued that you are generally pulling levels to make audio 'fit' as opposed to pushing levels.

Ron Cooper June 16th, 2007 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=Peter J Alessandria;696254]Well call me crazy but here's another pet peeve of mine with Vegas. (BTW - been using Vegas since ver.4) Why not have the volume adjusting line on an individual clip in the center of the event, rather than at the top. Then if you move the line up above the center point, it increases the event volume, below, it lowers the volume. Why only lower the volume on a clip level????

I agree Peter, it IS a pain not being able to quickly & simply INCREASE an event's level. Unfortunatley Douglass, nothing is perfect and when you have weak audio from say someone talking a bit far away or you had a clip on the fly & didn't have time to adjust levels, it is pain.

Douglas Spotted Eagle June 16th, 2007 07:44 AM

This is why you have normalization. To match the audio with other audio on the timeline.
On the other hand, if Sony gave people the option of increasing the audio to where it was constantly brickwalling, people would gripe about that, too.
The concept of 0dBFS is very foreign to many people, and as a result I'd think the developer would want to prevent them from damaging audio at every turn possible. I've seen people who author books on video completely off-track with regard to dBFS, reference levels, 0dBFS vs 0dBVU, etc. Sure, Sony *could* give you the ability to add gain...but I can see a *lot* of reasons why it shouldn't be so.
Normalize, and were it me, I'd normalize in a tool that gives me RMS vs peak normalization. That's the proper flow for situations where you've recorded poor audio.

Peter J Alessandria June 16th, 2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle (Post 697647)
The concept of 0dBFS is very foreign to many people, and as a result I'd think the developer would want to prevent them from damaging audio at every turn possible. I've seen people who author books on video completely off-track with regard to dBFS, reference levels, 0dBFS vs 0dBVU, etc. Sure, Sony *could* give you the ability to add gain...but I can see a *lot* of reasons why it shouldn't be so.

Sorry - still doesn't make sense: following that rationale, your volume envelopes should also only go one way: down. Clearly the ability to raise volume is not placing my audio levels in immediate jeopardy.

Glenn Chan June 16th, 2007 11:12 PM

Raising your audio can cause clipping. That is why allowing people to raise their audio levels can be dangerous.

2- Normalization will raise your audio levels for you. It's not dangerous because it will just your audio to just before the point of clipping. The just before point is defined in the preferences.

2b- You don't necessarily want your peak hitting 0dBFS, since that can look like clipping. Vegas defaults to something slightly less than 0dBFS.

3- If you really need to add more loudness or gain, throw on some compression.

I hope that helps.