Which Drives to Specify for Which Files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 15th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #1
Trustee

Which Drives to Specify for Which Files?

I'm new to Vegas and am trying to figure out the best place to store each type of Vegas file.

This is my drive setup:
C: First partition of 7,200 WD 80 gig. Stores XP Pro and program files for Vegas, Avid Xpress Pro, Adobe Reader, MS Office (and a few other programs).

D: Second partition of 7,200 WD 80 gig. Stores data files for MS Office and Adobe Reader.

F: 10,000 WD Raptor 150 gig. Not partitioned, 64K cluster size. Essentially empty.

G: 10,000 WD Raptor 150 gig. Not partitioned, 64K cluster size. Essentially empty.

I believe the general concept is capture to one drive and render to another, but Vegas, Sony's capture program and DVD Architect have quite a few different file types, so I'm pretty confused right now.

From what I can tell:

Vegas has:
Audio Recorder Files
Prerendered Files
Projects Files
Temporary Files

Sony Video Capture (should I even be using this?) has:
Capture Files
Project Files

DVD Architect has:
Prepare Files
Project Files
Temporary Files

Any advice on where these different files should be stored for best performance would be most appreciated.

Thanks much!
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Why not RAID up (RAID 0) the two Raptor drives and do all video work on that drive?
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #3
Trustee

I considered RAID 0, but have learned that it's less reliable and that using single drives with the proper file placement can increase performance just as much (if not more) than RAID does.

Here's a link to a thread I started on the very subject of RAIDing: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=93589

If I want to stay with the descrete drive solution, any thoughts on where the different types of files should be stored? Thanks!
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...