Vegas for HDV to SD MPEG2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 19th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Vegas for HDV to SD MPEG2

Hello from Premiere Country - I am pretty much sold to the Adobe Suite but there is something I would like to test in Vegas. I can get access to a PC running Vegas 6.

I am playing around with HDV lately and as you probably all know, the SD MPEG2/DVD export from PremPro is poor. So I was doing the resizing in VirtualDub either by frame serving uncompressed to TMPGEnc or using HuffYUV as intermediate - pretty labor intensive and time consuming process. I am wondering wether I could do the M2T to standard def MPEG2 conversion in Vegas and use the resulting files to finalize my projects in Encore DVD.

Is this possible at all? I know Vegas 6 is not the lates version, but I suppose it's new enough to work with HDV files - at this point I am not interested in CineForm, I'm happy with my workflow in PremPro 2.0. And second, does Vegas 6 handle the MPEG2 conversion at all? If yes - and someone has experience with my present workflow, how does it compare to the quality of the Vegas compression?

As mentioned above, I dunno notin' 'bout Vegas so please go easy on me...

Thanks,
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Vegas 6 will do the conversion ok but if you want to do any trimmer work it's pretty clunky.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Most Vegas installs will have DVD Architect, so, Vegas will have access to the excellent Main Concept MPEG2 encoder that is bundled and integrated.

Vegas 6 is fine for what you want to do.

Encoding in Vegas rather than DVDA gives more controls of the encoder, including datarates & etc.

The resolution downconvert can be done in the same pass as the MPEG2 encode, I recommend selecting "Best" video rendering quality in the custom render settings. ("Good" is fine for all encodes without rez conversions.)

If I were doing it, I would start with:
Save as type: Main Concept MPEG2
Template: DVD Architect NTSC widescreen video stream
On the "custom" dialog:
Video Rendering Quality: Best
VBR Max: 8,000,000
VBR Avg: 6,000,000
VBR Min: 4,000,000

Then, a separate render of audio:
Save as type: Dolby Digital AC-3
Template: Default Template
on the "custom" dialog:
Dialog Normalization: -31db
Line mode profile: none
RF mode profile: none

See these threads for more info on AC3 encoding:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=47131
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=87872

See Edward Troxel's excellent newsletters for general MPEG2 encoding info:
http://www.jetdv.com
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...