Satisfactory HDV to SD Conversion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 19th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Satisfactory HDV to SD Conversion

Anybody come up with a satisfactory workflow from HDV (1080, 50i) to SD/DVD in Vegas 7/DVD Architect yet?

I've tried all combinations of options to get a clean SD in 7d but am still plagued with artifacts when I burn or prepare file to DVD.

I'm doing it on a mate's system (dual core, Raid array, very fast and efficient) as I'm still undecided as to what software will do the job best.

I've followed all the threads (well, most of them anyway) and tried changing fields, progressive, bit rates, blah blah.

I don't see the de-interlacing filter as an option as it just seems to blur the pix.

I know some people seem deliriously happy with their SD results from HD which is all the more frustrating.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #2
Major Player

Have you tried the free VASST script here?:

http://www.vasst2.com/product.aspx?i...4-951b88a127b1

It seems to work quite well and is pretty much idiot-proof.

The only thing you need to watch for if you use this script is that you select "best" for rendering quality since "best" uses a better resize algorythm.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for that.

Downloaded and tried it. No good.

Anybody got any workflows they'd care to share?

By the way, I'm using a Canon XH-A1.

Be nice if I could get some SD footage at least as good as my little Panasonic GS400.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Also, in Vegas, it's really important to select a deinterlace method when you resize interlaced video. This includes downrezzing HD to SD. It's not that you actually deinterlace. It's that if a deinterlace method is not selected, it will resize like the footage is progressive. This will give you jagged vertical lines on any motion. Select a deinterlace method and the footage will resize the two interlace fields separately.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #5

I'm a bit baffled that you're having a problem with HDV to SD.
Shoot HDV.
Capture HDV
Edit HDV on an HDV timeline. Be sure you're using the *HDV* and not *HD* templates for your framerates.
After you're finished, and you are ready for output;
Choose the DVD Architect PAL Widescreen template.
Be sure the "Stretch to fill" checkbox is ticked.
That should be it.

While I've only done this a bit with the 25p/50i templates, I follow this daily with 24p, 30p or 60i originated HDV.
If you do choose to deinterlace, you can get a reasonably good deinterlace by choosing the Custom Tab and using "Interpolate" vs "blend."
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm a PAL user and also have an XH-A1. Having no problems at all making great looking DVD's using Vegas and DVDA.

As per DSE's recommendations above, I shoot in HDV, capture/edit in HDV then render to DVD Architect PAl Widescreen Template.

If you want to e-mail me, I'd be happy to do some screen grabs of my project settings although to be honest I am pretty sure they are just the default ones.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks guys.

I'll go back to basics, delete all the test files I've accumulated and try again.

.... I'll be back.......
Bill Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...