HDV split files causes Vegas to crash. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 20th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #1
Inner Circle

HDV split files causes Vegas to crash.

Ok, so I was editing away on some footage from Stanley Park at sunset and nighttime which was captured with HDV split (I thought I'd try it out instead of the Vegas HDV capture.) I'm half-way through the edits then the program locked up (that dreadful robotic studder) and then... CRASH! (not an exception, a microsoft thing.)

However I did save the project before I clicked the error message shutting it down to it's doom. But when I went back to edit, it would crash on the same exact files! Yikes! I had no choice but to delete them, and it was of a heron standing on the stone wall of the seawall, a rare shot!

That was a bad way to be introduced to HDV split, I'm gonna stick with my Vegas capture from now on.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have the same issue... do you think it's Vegas or M2T files in general?
Ario Damghani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Major Player

I use HDV Split exclusively and have never run into any of those problems.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Me too, I've never had a problem with files captured with HDV split.

In fact, I found the HDV split scene detection better than Vegas - the latter always seemed to be off by one frame.
Gian Pablo Villamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Do you guys edit M2T natively or convert to cineform? If natively - how many M2T files can you edit on the timeline at once before Vegas crashes?
Ario Damghani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #6
New Boot

This is exactly what happened to me but with Premiere Pro 2 rather than Vegas. I used HDVsplit to capture 55 small clips and I put them together on the Premiere Pro timeline. Whenever I tried to export the timeline, or even to play it back on screen, it would crash at a particular frame.

I tried using Vegas Platinum on the same 55 clips and it worked okay at the frame in question. However, Vegas inserted black frames between clips, so there were still problems using HDVsplit files.

I had no playback problems when I captured using either Premiere Pro or Vegas. However, I didn't try using scene detect, I just captured the whole thing. I did split the captured file and rearrange it a little, and there were no "black frames" problems.

So maybe there is something about the way HDVsplit structures its captured clips that is causing crashes on both Vegas and Premiere or that is causing Vegas to insert extra frames.
Richard Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:18 AM   #7
Inner Circle

It just may be that scene splitting HDV has not been perfected yet, so lets stick to capturing without scene detection...
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:27 AM   #8
Major Player

why dont you just capture using vegas?
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:44 PM   #9
Major Player

You actually get the same if not worse errors using Vegas. My recommendation is to use the latest version of HDSplit (.77 beta) and if your PC is at all borderline power-wise, turn of the preview as you capture. I just did 8 tapes this way with no Vegas-crashing errors. The same capture with Vegas's capture had all sorts of errors.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:40 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I capture with HDVSplit because I like the fact that it names the clips after their shooting date and time.

I agree with the suggestion of trying v.77b. It has been very stable for me.
Richard Iredale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #11
Tourist

Hi -

When I try and load the HDVSplit clips into Vegas I can add only one file using either Explorer or the import option in Vegas. If I add more than one this generates an error and goes thru the process of asking me if I want to report it.

Any suggestions?

I am also having a problem with being able to capture using Vegas Platinum 8. It does capture but I don't see anything on the preview screen. I also read somewhere where they say that there is an option in Vegas to do scene change capture but I can't see any option like that in Platinum. I will bet it is only available in 8 and not Platinum. I have seen that the tool bar is different in 8 versus Platinum 8.

Bob
Bob Yantorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #12
Major Player

I have had this same problem with both the Vegas capture and HDVSplit.

What happens is that every so often, there is an error in one or more of the m2t clips that will crash Vegas.

I have very few of these if I use the latest version of HDVSplit (.77 Beta) with the preview window turned off.

If I still have a Vegas crashing clip, loading the offending clip into either Womble MPEG VCR or MPEG Wizard and resaving it (which either program does without rerendering) will fix it. I try to do this as little as possible since the resaved clip won't play back as efficiently in the timeline.

For me, not using scene splitting doesn't help. I still get the errors every so often and when I do, the whole unsplit clip crashes.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #13
Tourist

Hi Laurence -

Thanks for the info - yes it was a bad file. Used MPGE2Repair and it fixed it.

I also discovered the "Capture" Preferences button for Platinum 8 in the upper let hand corner of the capture screen. So now I can capture in clips. I only wish I could view while capturing.
Bob Yantorno is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...