DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Importing video from Archived DVD's (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/97505-importing-video-archived-dvds.html)

Michael Dunn June 25th, 2007 04:11 PM

Importing video from Archived DVD's

I have archived several hours of shooting onto DVD's both +R and -R formats.

I shoot with a Sony HDR-FX1 camera in standard 3X4 format.

I archive the video to a Sony VRD-VC20 Video Recordable DVD drive.

I can play the DVD video in my home DVD player and on the computer.

I now want to edit this footage and I am not having any luck in getting the editing program to recognize the video on the DVD.

I use Sony Movie Studio Platinum 6.0 to edit.

The file formats on the DVD's are as follows.

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_VOB
VTS_01.0.IFO

The last file name contiues in the 1.IFO 2.IFO etc which I assume is the various scenes.

I have transfered the DVD to a hard drive and attempted to get the Sony Editing program to import it with no luck. The same is true when I attempt to import it from the Archive DVD.

What do I need to do to import this footage?

I have imported video directly from the camera with no problems at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Marco Wagner June 25th, 2007 04:18 PM

The VOB files are what actually contain the footage. You can either rename .VOB to .MPEG (some issues) or get a program that rips VOB to AVI, there are several out there.

my $.02

Michael Dunn June 25th, 2007 04:26 PM

Thanks for the response

What are the issues of just renaming the file(s) to JPEG?

Do you only change the VOB file to JPEG?

What files are the .IFO ?

and finally

What programs convert the files?

My ultimate goal is simple editing of the video and then output of the edited video to DVD in AVI format.

Herman Van Deventer June 25th, 2007 04:46 PM

Mpeg streamclip / freeware for pc and mac will solve your problem.

Herman.

Marco Wagner June 25th, 2007 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Dunn (Post 702668)
Thanks for the response

What are the issues of just renaming the file(s) to JPEG?

Do you only change the VOB file to JPEG?

What files are the .IFO ?

and finally

What programs convert the files?

My ultimate goal is simple editing of the video and then output of the edited video to DVD in AVI format.

You change them to mpeg, not jpeg. Some issues, sound not being in sync with video. Possibly slowness editing. I'd probably just use that freeware program and convert as said above. IFO files are really just markers and info files as far as I was told.

Michael Dunn June 25th, 2007 05:45 PM

Thanks for the information.

The JPEG reference was the still photographer in me mis-reading the post. I am so use to the JPEG extension.

I will down load the program and give it a shot.

George Wing June 25th, 2007 05:47 PM

I thought Vegas Movie Studio 6.0 Platinum allowed you to Import from DVD.

File / Import / DVD Camcorder Disc

This will import the mpeg video from the DVD Structure.

Regards,
George

Michael Dunn June 25th, 2007 06:25 PM

Thanks George.

I tried it and it worked.

I may have some corrupted files on the DVD as I got a message to that effect but most of it came through.

Is there any way of recovering the missing data?

Mel Enriquez June 25th, 2007 08:01 PM

editing VOB files in vegas

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Dunn (Post 702663)
I have archived several hours of shooting onto DVD's both +R and -R formats.

I shoot with a Sony HDR-FX1 camera in standard 3X4 format.

I archive the video to a Sony VRD-VC20 Video Recordable DVD drive.

I can play the DVD video in my home DVD player and on the computer.

I now want to edit this footage and I am not having any luck in getting the editing program to recognize the video on the DVD.

I use Sony Movie Studio Platinum 6.0 to edit.

The file formats on the DVD's are as follows.

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_VOB
VTS_01.0.IFO

The last file name contiues in the 1.IFO 2.IFO etc which I assume is the various scenes.

I have transfered the DVD to a hard drive and attempted to get the Sony Editing program to import it with no luck. The same is true when I attempt to import it from the Archive DVD.

What do I need to do to import this footage?

I have imported video directly from the camera with no problems at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael,

I just finished editing 6 DVDs 3 weeks ago. I don't use the Platinum edition, so I can't tell you if it will work. I used Vegas v7.0e and all I did was copy the .vob on my HD, then dragged and dropped them in the timeline in Vegas. I edited from there. No problems of any sort. The final output was a single edited DVD of the 6 DVDs.

However, I did notice it slowed down a bit on the timeline, but not enough to hamper me in getting the job edited. I use a Dell 2.0ghz 1gb ram, 160gb HD notebook.

Try what I did and see if it works. Else, get the software to convert that to avi or mpeg2.

Mark Harmer June 30th, 2007 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel Enriquez (Post 702766)
I used Vegas v7.0e and all I did was copy the .vob on my HD, then dragged and dropped them in the timeline in Vegas. I edited from there. No problems of any sort.

I've just done a similar thing with one clip that the client had put onto a dvd using a dvd program that I didn't have. Unfortunately his avi files were corrupted, and since the end product was going to be on DVD I simply used the video from his dvd, tidied it in vegas, and now it's back on the dvd. It looks fine!

Lorinda Norton July 17th, 2007 12:19 AM

Vegas 6

A client brought six of her DVD productions to me wanting them imported and edited for a workshop compilation. Four of them imported (File/Import/DVD camcorder disc) easily, but two of them won’t. She says she’s had at least one of them copied before. Just to make sure everything is functioning I imported one of my own DVDs and it worked fine. What can cause this problem?