Quadro fx 4500 - a good card for Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 30th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Quadro fx 4500 - a good card for Vegas?

Hi - just blown a fairly big amount of money on the above in the hope that it improves my render times particularly when using the Magic Bullet plugin suite.

Seriously, will this help or should I have saved my money and used it on, say, food for my children? At present I'm using the supplied card in my Compaq dual-core 3 GHz machine, which renders quite quickly in DV/HDV but struggles as soon as I use any plugins, particularly the Magic Bullet ones. I'm currently doing a render of an HDV piece in vegas, which is taking 36 seconds per frame because it has quite a few effects on it.

Oh - and off-topic, but I also use premiere pro, particularly in a current project involving 35 separate videos which we're halfway thorough editing (therefore will finish this project off in premiere pro). There's a lot of level-correcting and other plugin work involved in these too. Hoping the card might help there, too???!! Please tell me I haven't done something silly!!
Mark Harmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Mark, you now know the answer to this question regarding Vegas (hopefully). Check with the folks at the Premier forum as the card might help with that product. Premier is a totally different animal, as you know. At least that is my understanding. Also try Googling a phrase such as video card + Premier. good luck

By the way, you will find with even quad core that the Magic Bullet HD still renders painfully slow even in SD projects.

Talk about a disappoinment!

Last edited by Jeff Harper; June 30th, 2007 at 08:18 AM. Reason: addition
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks very much, Jeff. I was particularly hoping it might help with the longer render times when I use the Magic Bullet plugins. They do recommend these cards - but I think from the reading I've now done, and your response, that the card will make no difference to Vegas except that it might - I hope - help a bit with the Magic Bullet renders.

Anyway ordered it now so no going back. I wish I'd asked first!!! Still, quad-core / 8-core machine might be next on the shopping list!
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Don't know where you buy, but any place I purchase from (Newegg, Tiger Direct, etc etc.) does allow returns, especially on unopened items. Unless you have a terribly bad card, you won't even see the difference in the quality of video, most likely, unless it help with Premier somehow.

I purchased my new system for exactly $2300 including the same card you are talking about.

Again, good luck.
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:34 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Jeff, thanks again. I've asked for a refund as I bought online and the card hasn't shipped yet. Your advice was spot-on about getting a quad-core. I've done a bit more research into Magic Bullet, which is the particular plugin that's slowing things down, and for that plugin a graphics card is detected by Vegas and used for the processing in the Look Suite only. A more modest card will help with that particular plugin. Otherwise, of course, you're right, the quad core machine is the way to go.

I've been using a domestic pc up to now and have quite a few projects on the go - so it's probably time to get something purely for editing. I guess that's one of those rites of passage things!!

Thank you again for your help with this.

Mark
Old July 1st, 2007, 06:55 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Just picking up on the point about MB/quad core still being slow.

Certainly MB is one of the slowest rendering plugins in existence but I have just finished editing a ten minute piece with an instance of MB on almost every clip (around 300 clips of SD) and found the difference made by the quad core to be astonishing.

I rendered it on my 3.4GHz, 2Gb pc first and it took 6 hours. A few days later I re-rendered it (with an additional six tracks of titles and lower thirds) on my newly self-built quad core (qx6700), 2Gb pc - it took 35 minutes.

The only other significant differences between the two machines were 1) the quad core was pretty much virgin territory - ie absolutely no fragmentation on the disks, very little other software installed at that point; 2) the system drive on the quad core is a 10,000rpm Raptor (all render drives were 7200rpm) but the system drive on the other pc was only 7200; and 3) the memory is highest spec poss versus entry level on the 3.4GHz machine.

Basically, what I'm saying is that (in my personal experience at least) quad core isn't going to turn MB into a speed demon but it certainly does stop it being painfully slow. I now don't hesitate to use it almost as a matter of course on any and every short project. Even on a corporate case study about an engine assembly plant! It looks gorgeous!

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 12:28 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I agree Ian. I do like being able to make minor adjustments and re-render a project knowing it will process faster...whereas before I might have let something minor slide because I didn't want to wait for 2 hours for a re-render.
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #8
Regular Crew

nVidia cards - the full skinny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Just picking up on the point about MB/quad core still being slow
I did in the end buy a secondhand nVidia 7800GTX as I couldn't justify getting a new quad-core machine - at least not for now. I'll stick with my dual-core.

I decided it was worth a try - and guess what? The graphics card DOES make a difference - in my case, a huge difference. Before changing the old card, I did a render of 53 frames using one of the stock MB "Look Suite" plugins and it took 1m23s to render those 53 frames in SD.

After installing the graphics card, I got prepared to time it rendering the same thing again, only it did it in under two seconds - before I got the chance to time it properly!

So now I can add to the information that's flying around on this forum!:

Quad-core may very well speed up vegas / prempro etc, just as my own dual-core is faster than my single-core machine. But if you have a run-of-the-mill graphics card, replacing it with an nVidia 7800 card will speed up anything which can use OpenGL acceleration - MB look suite plugins, 2d3 Steadymove plugin. I can preview the slider changes and full-speed video when using the MB look suite - which was just painful before my new graphics card. So now you know!
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I've replaced video cards with dramatic upgrades and found absolutely no improvement, but then I always had decent cards to begin with.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...