How come Vegas still can not export to Flash? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM   #1
Trustee

How come Vegas still can not export to Flash?

Are we going to get it in the next version? When is the release date anyway? You'd think Vegas would support the most widely-used codec on the Web...
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 09:40 PM   #2

I wouldn't count on it. Apple isn't using it either. Licensing cost is apparently costly.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The irony is you can get software that can do the the conversion to swf for not much money. I do wonder, and have wondered the same question as far back as Vegas version 4.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

OT on Flash video history

Pure speculation on my part - perhaps the license arrangements that Sorenson and Canopus made with Macromedia allow them access to the technology at a price you cannot get today.

FLV certainly wasn't a significant distribution format in professional circles until the ON2 VP6 codec became available, and, before Youtube & other online distribution. Seems to me that two years ago youtube was a novelty, (if it existed?), and Flash video with the Spark codec was what you had to do if you wanted video in a flash layout. Nobody else touched it, as image quality was so inferior to Real, QT and WMV.

Now, the VP6 quality is at least in the same ballpark as the competitors, and youtube is ubiquitous, we all want it, and Adobe wants money for it!
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Super

Use SUPER to convert to any format for free -
Brett Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Cole View Post
Use SUPER to convert to any format for free -
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you look at the FAQ question 024 on http://www.erightsoft.net/faqt.html you will see that Super-C does not support the VP6 codec for flash video.

If you like the Spark codec, Super-C will indeed encode it, and it is freeware. IMO the Spark codec is not acceptable when much finer encodes can be done in other formats with freeware or Vegas.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #7
Major Player

So I'm using the deme of On2 Flix Pro to encode On2 VP6 video and the video is looking horrible. I'm pissed....

What I want/need to do is export uncompressed from the vegas timeline but each time I do, the resulting file has no video in the file and when I go to encode it to flash, that video has no video in it. Extremely frustrating. I'm looking all over the web and I see TONS of video's that people produce that looks really top class yet I can't get a decent export out of Vegas to save my life.....

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #8

Of course there is video in the file, Jon, just that Flash can't read the codec.
Exporting uncompressed for a Flash-based webstream seems silly to me.
Why not export an m2t file if your source is HDV, or export a Cineform Stream if your source is HD, or export a QT uncompressed if you *really* want to stick out a big file?
What is your source? You're *never* going to get better than your source.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #9
Major Player

I use the Riva FLV encoder with good results, its free
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Of course there is video in the file, Jon, just that Flash can't read the codec.
Exporting uncompressed for a Flash-based webstream seems silly to me.
Why not export an m2t file if your source is HDV, or export a Cineform Stream if your source is HD, or export a QT uncompressed if you *really* want to stick out a big file?
What is your source? You're *never* going to get better than your source.
Hey Douglas,

My source is 1080i HDV video shot via the Sony HDR-FX1. I don't expect the video quality to equal what I'm seeing in the vegas timeline, but I do expect it to be close, and certainly expect it to be as good as the majority of video clips posted around here in the Sample Clips look. I'm going to buy some webspace in the next day or two and work on getting some samples up for everybody to see and tell me what they think.

#1) When I export via MainConcept Mpeg-2 then select HDV, even with the highest quality settings, the video looks poor. The color changes are dramatic in that they are more dark and contrasty and the image doesn't hold it's sharpness at all.

#2) When I try to export a MainConcept Mpeg2 and then try Mpeg-2 as the compressor, Vegas crashes on me. This is an entirely different problem and I'm running an extremely "clean" system. I've not even brought up this fact here because I'm sure there's really no solution to this. Vegas does not crash on anything else that I try to export.

#3) My attempt to start with an uncompressed file and then convert via FlixPro from there is to determine what the problem is and why I'm getting such poor results. I figure if I can feed the player a "perfect" file and if the end result looks bad, it obviously must be the encoder. I have also read all over the On2 website that ideally, you feed it an uncompressed video file to encode. That makes perfect sense to me, why encode twice? On the other hand, they use an example whereby they encode their source files which had been previously encoded with Mpeg4.

#4) What has given me the best results so far, but still not as good as other stuff I see posted around here, is the Quicktime *.mov export with the BMP compressor, which I assume is really something similiar to an uncompressed format. These results are still, in my opinion, unacceptable, but they aren't horrible either.

Thanks for your help Douglas, I'm really lost and quite frustrated with this issue..

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...