Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 108 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 4th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #1606
Major Player

Hi,

Just a quick note on network speed.

I have a Gigabit network connected to a D-Link gigabit switch. When I capture video I use about 20% cpu and 4% network ( performance monitor ) - I capture to a "central file store" - in my case an extra win xp pro machine with hardware raid 5. Both machines have P4@3.2ghz and 2gb memory.

I'd guess that I'll utilize the network somewhat more when editing/scrubbing/rendering.

But remember:

A good and fast HDD will deliver about 30Mb/sec (continues file) - a gigabit network can handle about 70Mb/sec ( or more )

// Lazze \\
Old December 4th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #1607
Regular Crew

Audio question

I am recording audio with a monorecord camera. How do I suplicate the audio in Vegas So that it comes out of both right and left speakers?

Mitch
Old December 4th, 2004, 08:10 PM   #1608
Regular Crew

If your audio is showing up on one side of the stereo pair, right-click and choose Channels > Left Only or Right Only.

Gary
Old December 5th, 2004, 08:04 AM   #1609
Major Player

Getting rid of a mic in the shot with Vegas

I am totally new to Vegas, and I was wondering what the best way would be to remove the tip of a mic that has entered one of my shots. Thanks.
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:34 AM   #1610
Inner Circle

If the target format is TV, anything in the 5% of the edge won't show up on people's TV sets (since all TV sets will crop off ~5% of the edges).

Otherwise...

Is the camera locked down on a tripod? (or was it on a tripod?)
If so, the microphone won't be so hard to remove. Create a good background image in Photoshop, and then use keyframes and pan/crop tool to superimpose that background on your video.

If the background is a flat color things shouldn't be that hard either even if the camera was hand-held.
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #1611
Trustee

If the mic dips in and out and the shot is static, you can also remove it by creating a small box wipe around the mic and time slipping a copy the shot to a point where there is no mic and wiping it in.

Robin
Old December 5th, 2004, 10:26 AM   #1612
Major Player

<<<--
Is the camera locked down on a tripod? (or was it on a tripod?)
If so, the microphone won't be so hard to remove. Create a good background image in Photoshop, and then use keyframes and pan/crop tool to superimpose that background on your video. -->>>

Would I have to go back to the location and take a picture of the background with the precise angle and lighting (to match the background and the actor up) to do this? Seems tricky.

Both the mic and the camera were on stands, by the way.
Old December 5th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #1613
New Boot

thanks Edward,

What is track motion, and how do I use it?
Old December 5th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #1614
Regular Crew

Track Motion affects the entire track and works on the video image generated after the event effects are are applied. What Ed is saying is that if you are using Track Motion, (which it sounds like you are not) to zoom then you are zooming after the event effects are rendered and not at the resolution of the original image but at the resolution of what will be output (720x480). I have never looked up the heirarchy of how this actually works myself but what Ed is saying sounds reasonable. But it sounds to me as if you are using event pan and zoom, which is the best method for what you're doing. I use event pan and zoom frequently and make original media for this purpose at resolutions similar to yours. I export the file from my graphics program as a windows bitmap to ensure no losses and compatibility. I have not experienced your problem. Are you looking at this video clip after rendering or previewing it? Image quality in preview is not great.
Old December 5th, 2004, 02:46 PM   #1615
New Boot

"Track Motion affects the entire track and works on the video image generated after the event effects are are applied."

By event effects do you mean pan/crop?

After rendering image looks degraded as well. should I resize my image in Photoshop to resolution that of Vegas and save it in PNG format?
Old December 5th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #1616
Sponsor: JET DV

Track Motion is one of the buttons on the track header. Pan/Crop is one of the icons on the right edge of each event (or clip). Use Pan/Crop to NOT lose resolution.

You might also reduce the actual size of the image(s) (depending on how FAR you wish to zoom) and you should also render as "BEST" when using images.
Old December 5th, 2004, 04:50 PM   #1617

Do you have ANY shots without the mic? If yes (and the camera was locked down on a tripod) you can just use that to get the affected area.
Old December 5th, 2004, 06:13 PM   #1618
Regular Crew

Vegas 4.0 versus 5.0 problem ?

Hello !

I tried to create a mpg2 file using vegas 4.0 . My footage is 24p , my project is 24p. When I create the mpg2 file with 24p settings, it stutters ! while in my scene in vegas if I scrub through the clip it looks OK !

Is this a problem in 4.0 that is maybe fixed in 5.0 ?

Or an I doing something wrong ?

Frank
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:35 PM   #1619
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : Do you have ANY shots without the mic? If yes (and the camera was locked down on a tripod) you can just use that to get the affected area. -->>>

I don't think I have any of the same exact shots without the mic in it. I guess I will have to go back and record the location with the camera...and try to match up the same angle...no? And yeah, the camera was always on a tripod.
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:35 PM   #1620

WHERE do you see this MPEG2 file stutter?

Vegas?
DVDA2?
After you create a DVD and play it back on a computer?
After you create a DVD and play it back on a TV?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...