DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/98077-vegas-video-discussions-2004-q3q4.html)

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 14th, 2004 12:47 AM

Sound Forge from VASST finally made it into Walmart. I know that sounds weird, but it's the first Sony tech book to make it into this chain that's harder to sell to than selling heaters to Arizonans in August.

http://www.vasst.com/images/InstantWalMart.JPG
At 15.00, the books are flyin' off the warehouse floor. Thanks for the support, y'all.
Watch for VASST books on Boris FX, Instant Vegas, and Surround Sound in the coming months.

Actually, Walmart is carrying all 4 VASST books...
Sound Forge
DVD Workshop
Encore 1.5
Boris FX

Was a huge happy face around here...let's hope we do well. At $15.00 a book....it's a great deal. Barely more than we pay for them ourselves.

Hugh DiMauro July 14th, 2004 06:25 AM

I'll do it

I will try that test. I am always amenable to obtainng the best image possible. After all, my clients actually pay me to do what I love.

"Show me a man who loves his job and I will show you a man who never worked a day in his life."

Glen Elliott July 14th, 2004 06:34 AM

How widely distributed are they- I mean will I find them in "my" neighborhood Walmart in S. Jersey...or is it an item better found shopping on Walmart online?

Kevin Kimmell July 14th, 2004 06:56 AM

Awesome. Thanks. In DVDA2 it appears to be called an "Empty Button". That seems to be working.

So I guess if I have something shaped a bit odd then I need to make several buttons sized as various boxes to cover the object? In other words, there's no way to size a button to an odd shape?

Thanks!

Kevin

Ryan Gohlinghorst July 14th, 2004 07:30 AM

I tried it last night. Guess what... Edward was right about higher resolution using crop/pan instead of track motion (isn't it amazing how often the phrase "Edward was right" is said on this site). Thanks again!

Jean-Philippe Archibald July 14th, 2004 03:32 PM

Rendering in 16:9

Ok, I have shot in 4:3, then leterboxed in Vegas 4 using the pan crop 16:9 preset. Look good on 4:3 TV. But what can I do to render it for the web or an anamorphic DVD in true 16:9 ?

Ian Hong July 15th, 2004 12:56 AM

Buying Vegas+DVD

I've found Vegas+DVD for a fairly good price. The person selling it says that it has already been registered, but that the "license is transferrable upon completion of sale." If I buy it, will there be any drawbacks to this as opposed to one that has never been registered?
If I buy this, I'm going to sell my Vegas 5. Could I also do this "license transferring" when I sell it?

Philip Boyer July 15th, 2004 06:43 AM

This is my experience only. I'm not a Sony representative.

I've had no drawbacks with a license transfer.

I purchased Vegas 4 and DVD Architect 1 from a seller on this board. The license transfer was as simple as making a couple of phone calls to Sony support. (You can also do it by email.) I used that software to upgrade to Vegas 5 and DVD Architect 2, even though the seller had also used the software to upgrade. (I got conflicting information from Sony as to whether I could upgrade with a license that had already been used to upgrade, but I guess they were happy to get my $200.)

I have since sold my copies of Vegas 4 and DVD Architect 1 (to someone else on these boards) and the license transfer went smoothly from me to him as well.

Edward Troxel July 15th, 2004 07:15 AM

Sony is very good about transferring licenses as long as all the information is correctly provided to them. Basically, they will kill that serial number and then issue you a new one.

Jos Svendsen July 15th, 2004 09:35 AM

Thanks but ...

Hi Again.

I am not too sure if you answer my question, as I am concerned about the setting of the parameter "Dialog Normalization" in the AC3-settings not normalization of vocals in general.

I'll do a reformulation of my question and repost. But thanks anyway as I found the normalize option and the stereo to mono switch. Seems that you can find wonders of good options just by using the right mouse button.

But 5.1 mixing is quite fun, and it is amazing what you can do with the sub-busses.

Jos Svendsen July 15th, 2004 09:46 AM

AC3 parameters in Vegas

The parameter "Dialog Normalization" in the AC3-setup for Vegas 5.0 . How do you determine if the value (-27 dB) is correct?

And what about the profiles? I use "Film - Normal". It is music that I am mixing. Is there any guideline to which profiles should be used in a given case?

I have a dedicated LFE-track, that I am feeding from the drums and bass-tracks. Lots of activity on the meters and nice sound on the pc, but no sound in the sub when I play the video on the living room surround set up. Has this someting to do with the setting af the "Dialog Normalization" parameter

Thanks for any reply

David Jasany July 15th, 2004 11:05 AM

SmartSound Live Demo & Introduction

Smartsound is doing a free introduction and live demo of SonicFire Pro for creating your own music soundtracks.

You'll need to pick the time and register for the session. Here's the link:

https://smartsound.webex.com/smartsound/mywebex/default.php?Rnd7006=0.4969325507821435

I don't have SonicFire Pro but I'm on their email mailing list.

Charles Papert July 15th, 2004 12:30 PM

Hi,

At Instant Films we have been working with SonicFire Pro for about a year for rescoring the 48-hour films in our library for distribution. The software is easy to use and works well. Can be a real timesaver vs traditional music editing of existing tracks.

Kevin Kimmell July 15th, 2004 02:48 PM

Anyone know of a script...

...that will insert a marker at each cutpoint or transition on a video track? I couldn't get DVDA2 to transition it's slideshow so I put all of the pictures on a video track and put music to it. I then inserted transitions.

I guess I am satisfied enough to leave it without chapter marks but if there's a script that will drop them then it would be a nice touch.

I'd do it manually, but after manually transitioning 90+ pictures I'm a bit tired :)

Thanks,
Kevin

Edward Troxel July 15th, 2004 03:07 PM

Yep. Excalibur! Does that and SO much more. You can download and try out the 15 use trial version from http://www.vegastrainingandtools.com