Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 20th, 2004, 06:42 PM   #211
New Boot

Just a question on the format of the hard drive. I have 3 hard drives all formated with the FAT32 system. Would I be able to format one of these to NTFS and run them compatibly or do all hard drives have to be the same format?
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #212
Inner Circle

Yeah I'm not sure what the 5th button refers to. If you press down on the mouse wheel, it's kind of like a button. It brings up the left/right scrolly thingie just like other wheel mice.
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:19 PM   #213
Major Player

Of course, you need to be running WinNT, Win2K or WinXP to use the NTFS file system. Win98 does not support, nor will it even recognize, NTFS drives. To answer your question, you can mix FAT32 and NTFS drives with no problem.

John
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:20 PM   #214
New Boot

Thanks John, Im running XP so there should be no dramas.
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:26 PM   #215
Sponsor: JET DV

Since they are well within the safe area, you'll never see them on a TV. However, I always scan my pictures at whatever size they are. I don't worry about "655x480" or any other sizes. I have a complete writeup of the process I use at http://www.jetdv.com/tts
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:28 PM   #216

Is there a black frame there on the timeline? What is the source? Anything common about those areas? Did you try a reboot?
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #217
Major Player

Thanks Edward. I just discovered that the picture fill the entire frame by setting source/maintain aspect ratio to no in the Pan/Crop window. Tried this on a few photos with different resolutions and it always filled the frame. By doing this, will the final aspect ratio be correct when viewed on a 4:3 TV?

Or, as you suggested, should I always leave the source/maintain aspect ratio to yes and assume the bars will be outside of the safe area?

Thanks also for the link to the writeup.
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #218
Major Player

Edward,

Are you referring to your Vol 1 No. 8?
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:45 PM   #219

Yes. Vol1 #8.
Old July 20th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #220
Major Player

Yeah, that's my next test. I'll check the VOB before wasting another DVD.

Dennis Vogel
Old July 20th, 2004, 11:44 PM   #221

FYI, Sundance portal closing soon....New link

Just as an FYI, we'll be closing the Sundance access shortly. We're moving all the tools, tutorials, reviews, and files over to the VASST site to save on how many sites we maintain. You can already view the new look and tool feature of the site now when you log into the Sundance portal.
The new location is faster, smoother, and can manage more media/space. We've also sorted the scripts, files, tutorials, and reviews are coming soon.

The new access will be via the VASST site; http://www.vasst.com/login.htm

We'll give folks a while to get familiar with it, but wanted you guys to know first.

p.s. there are several new veggies up there as of last night.
http://www.vasst.com
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:09 AM   #222
Major Player

Premiere style "Scenes"

Is there a way for Vegas to provide the same feature as Premiere's "Scenes" where you can separately edit many scenes for a long form project, saving them separately, yet render out as one long project?

It appears "Regions" may be somewhat similar, and I note that Tsunami and Neon have tools which are helpful towards achieving this, I wonder if there is some simple feature I have overlooked.

Brian
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:41 AM   #223
New Boot

DVD Architect 1.0 & 2.0 recompression problem

This may sound like a stupid question however I cannot manually select the compression rate, the box is ticked and will not let me get into the compression settings.

I have 4.7 GB selected, the movie itself is not very big and the recompression settings are set to 40% of the media for some reason. How can I manually select the settings? I re-installed Architect 1.0 as I have used it before with no problems and the same issue is occuring.

I had a problem with Vegas 5 not letting me render to MPEG2 but I got around it by rendering to AVI and then to MPEG2 could this problem be linked to the recompression problems in Architect?
Old July 21st, 2004, 06:46 AM   #224
Major Player

Brian,

What you may be looking for is the "Takes" feature in Vegas. This lets you paste two or three or more 'takes' in the same place on the timeline. Then you preview with each take to see how it fits. Before you complete the project and render your movie, you have to decide which of the 'takes' to be the one that goes to print.
Old July 21st, 2004, 07:31 AM   #225
Wrangler

When you press the middle mouse button it brings up a circle with arrows on either side. Then if you move your mouse to the right or left it scrolls the timeline at varying speeds according to how far to the left or right the mouse is.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...