Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 27th, 2004, 03:31 PM   #316
Sponsor: JET DV

Depends on the definition of "many". If "many" means every frame, it'll take about 13 Gig. If "many" means 10% of the project, it'll take abou 1.3 gig.
Old July 27th, 2004, 03:33 PM   #317
Major Player

ok. thanks edward. that's exactly what i needed to know.
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #318
Regular Crew

Exporting .avi to DVCAM, but how?

Yes yes, this is a basic one; but even in the archive search i can't pull up this answer so i must be using the wrong words.

Well my question is fairly simple (although i'll let you judge that).

I have a completed project on my brothers computer, i want to take the dv signal from the computer to my SOny PD-170, but i don't know how to export the completed project, any ideas? Once completed, going to the VCR should be easy, but i can't figure this one out.
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #319

If all you want to do is take a DV-AVI file and output it via firewire to the camera, just choost Tools - Print Video to DV Tape
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #320
Regular Crew

ah yes, i was going to answer myself but its too late. For the record i'm embarrased, stupid question. Thanks for the help, i'm new at editing and after 4 hours of editing today, i lack the ablity to think outside the box.
Old July 28th, 2004, 06:51 AM   #321
Major Player

White flash

Does anyone know, is there a white flash transition effect in Vegas?
Old July 28th, 2004, 07:26 AM   #322

Yes there is. Transitions tab - Flash - hard/soft/yellow (your choice).

OR you could always make your own. Put a very short white generated media above the video and fade it out (like 5 frames long with a 4 frame fade out), for example.
Old July 28th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #323
Major Player

As always...Thanks Edward!!
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:04 AM   #324
Inner Circle

"Peter, what speeds do you slow your footage to? The timeline "should" be an issue of WYSIWYG. I've never had any issues with slow motion looking bad on output. I always render on "HIGH"- with a constant bitrate of 8 mb/s beings my programs are usually under an hour."

the speeds i render to vary from 90 down to 33... i wont go lower.. and i only render to high AVI as i prefer DVDA to render the full project to mpg according to the disc size left to me after i create a menu etc etc its alot quicker this way too especially when im ripping elements of the final product for highlights etc idont lose any quality with this "over processing "as its all AVI

Interlaced slow mo is just rubbish whe it drops below 75..

then i thought.. hmm.. why not, lets just see..
so i imported ths interlaced footage, set the project to Progressive square pixels ratio (nice for plasma screens less colour bleed thru the firing pixels :) ) then rendered a slow mo all the way down to 10%.. super smooth, and gorgeous and theres no hint of the main base frame (ie the originating frame) the sow mo looks natural....

i guess the centre field was getting messed up with some type of encoding algorythm.. i honestly dotn knwo but im happy to render to progressive if it gives me teh results i need
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #325
Major Player

actualy, in Vegas, you need to register the codec that is already instaled. So, the first time you try rendering somthing in mpeg2, it will ask for a serial key or something like that.
Maybe Vegas+DVD has that codec registered on instal, like Edward sais...
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #326
New Boot

Problem with Vegas and HD

Hi
Need your help.
Maybe someone also stuck with the same problem. I trying to edit my film, which is not short I assume, approximately 30 min long. This is what came out of 2 hors material, which has been taped on JVC HD1. So after downloading all files on the computer I have about 550 m2t files. My problem is, I can’t drop on timeline more then 120 files. Vegas doesn’t aloud to do this. Nothing helps. Restarting the program, computer etc. Maybe some problem with Vegas cash memory, but I can’t find were can I modified it. I also use Panasonic DVX100A, and with AVI files I never had this problem before.
Frankly a have never edited such a long HD film before. Maybe Vegas is limited somehow, to edit more than certain amount of mpeg files.
Thanks.
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #327

Vegas requires the secondary registration of the MPEG2 codec.

Vegas+DVD does not - It's automatically done when DVD Architect registers.
Old July 28th, 2004, 05:13 PM   #328
Regular Crew

Rendering 16:9 QuickTime Files

I have very little experience using Vegas 5 to output 16:9 mov files for QuickTime and have run into some problems. First of all the quality of the QuickTime files seems to be poor--even at the 1 Mbps quality option--the rendered video is blocky and poor quality. Also, I can't figure out how to output a file without letterboxing. The original video was letterboxed in-camera and I'm using the Vegas 16:9 event crop/pan template to crop. I don't have the letterboxing in my preview, but it always shows up in my QT files. Thanks.
Old July 28th, 2004, 05:44 PM   #329
Regular Crew

Glen, the problem needs to go away when I render as an .avi before I bother with making the project .mpg but I will remember your advice.

I did take Edward's idea and I chose an undersample rate of 21 secs. It looks like it does on the timeline rendered to .avi. Not perfect but might not get any better.

I called it jerky but it was more than that. I saw "trails" as well on the audience as the camera followed the bridesmaid.

Edward, just what IS "undersample rate"?
Old July 28th, 2004, 06:06 PM   #330
Major Player

yeah i know that. i managed to create an mpeg-2 with vegas. the reason i'm asking is this:

i've been having recent problems with dvd's i've been making (actually there were only two of them). the dvd's are of wedding receptions. i edited on vegas 5, exported video to mpeg-2 (compatible with DVDA) and audio to AC3. then i authored dvd with DVDA 2. burned with my LG 4082B dvd burner both on -R and +R memorex media.

i decided to try a different dvd authoring system to see if that makes any difference. i went to a studio that has SONIC SCENARIST (a high end dvd authoring program). but a wierd thing happened. for some reason, when dragging the mpeg-2 file (created with vegas 5) to the scenarist work space, nothing happened. as if scenarist won't accept the file. funny thing is that the people at the studio said that whenever there is a bad file or a file scenarist won't accept, it always gives an error message. with the vegas made mpeg-2, this didn't happen. just plain nothing happened. we tried dragging the audio file (AC3) to scenarist, and that went fine.

so i began to think that maybe there is something strange going on with vegas' mpeg-2 encoding.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...