Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 25 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 1st, 2004, 09:03 PM   #361
Trustee

yes the ignore event grouping is not turned on but what do you mean i need to delete both audio and video tracks both? i've had times when i highlighted a section of a clip and then pressed control+x and it would cut both audio and video. how come there are still other times where i have to go in and cut video and THEN audio?
Old August 2nd, 2004, 04:20 AM   #362
RED Code Chef

Sounds great Randall! Thank you.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 2nd, 2004, 04:30 AM   #363
Slash Rules!

I'm reviving this again. Since my last post on this thread, I've probably gone through three hard drives (that's a whole other story), the point being that each time I reinstalled a new drive, and I had to reinstall Vegas.

I'm having this reverb issue again. ALL other effects work, but reverb just does nothing, for some reason. . .whether apply it to a single event (non-real time FX), or to the entire track. . .bupkiss.

Anyone? Anyone?
Old August 2nd, 2004, 04:55 AM   #364
RED Code Chef

That depends on how you have selected things I believe. If you
have just the track selected on which you work it will just delete
from there. You can even make it cut only that track if you want
to. It is hard to describe and show virtually <g>

Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:32 AM   #365
Trustee

what i do is move the cursor to right above where the timecode is for the clips and then highly both audio and video track sections of where i want to 'cut' (ctrl+x or delete button). and at times when i get lucky i can cut, but on this particular project (which happens to be 4 hrs+) i've been running into problems where i have cut it (pressing either ctrl+x or delete button) but it doesn't even cut it for me... i'm sitting there with a question mark above my head... what the heck an editor that doens't cut when i tell it to? i have the latest revisions of vegas from the web. my gears are no prob. i just dunno if it's a config that i'm missing or i'm doing somn wrong.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:21 AM   #366
RED Code Chef

Is this Vegas 4 or 5 and on what OS etc.?

Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:52 AM   #367
Regular Crew

Vegas 5.0 Delinterlacing methods

I know that some programs, when they deinterlace and convert to 24p, do not loose resolution on the screen. Is that the same thing for Vegas 5.0? Or do you get a lower resolution image?
Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:54 AM   #368
Sponsor: JET DV

Is the hard drive rattling like crazy at that point in time?
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:04 PM   #369

dunno where you got your info. you'll ALWAYS get a loss in rez when you de-interlace. It happens 'cuz there's just no more vertical rez to be had. Ya can't create something from nothing. Deinterlacing works by either duplicating the existing frame or interpolating between the frame scanlines. There's no other way to generate the info. Since each field is separated in time by 1/60th of a second the info in each field is not useable to "detemporalize" your frames.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:00 PM   #370
Regular Crew

Actually, a lot of the software and companies out there like DVFilm Maker claim to do it.

http://www.dvfilm.com/maker/index.htm

It is about 1/5 the way down.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:08 PM   #371

all these guys use their own proprietary interpolating algorithmns. despite their claims, you WILL lose vertical rez on de-interlacing. It's a law of physics...can't create something from nothing. I've played with the DVFilmmaker software and vegas can do better.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:24 PM   #372
Regular Crew

That is interesting. These places are charging a hell of a lot to be lying about what they can do. Of course, in this inustry, anything is possible.

Could they perhaps be taking one frame of horiontal and combing it with one frame of vertical?
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:25 PM   #373
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestions. I have realized that Vegas and Cleaner XL with the Sorenson 3 Pro codec are not very good at producing high quality QT files. I have started to use Sorenson Squeeze and find that it beats everything else by a huge margin. I was very surprised that the same codec could produce such different results in different applications, but I'm totally sold on Sqeeze's ease of use and high quality output.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:53 PM   #374

well, dunno if i'd call it out and out "lying". Perhaps salesmanship or marketting is more appropriate. His(DVFilm) statement is true for horizontal rez. Each field is a horizontal scan composed of field lines that are captured 1/60th second apart. The fields are then combined to form a single image frame. You can't see the combing unless there is rapid horizontal motion. In this case, the vertical edges of objects exhibit the "combing" effect since each alternating scan line is not acquired at the same instant in time.

The vegas method of de-interlacing that most closely duplicates the method used by DVFilm is described here:http://www.100fps.com/

Douglas Spotted Eagle also has a tutorial on how to de-interlace, but, I can't find it. Basically, you duplicate your video track. Render the first track to the upper field. Render your duplicate second track to the lower field. Place the rendered tracks one above the other and set the opacity to 50% on the top track. Render to one track.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 02:09 PM   #375
Regular Crew

I just noticed your in Santa Fe too. Small world we live in.

I'll read that. The way this got started was a client asked me if Sony could like this company, and I wasn't sure. I always thought that you would loose some resolution, but after reading what these companys say, I wasn't sure.

Hmmm.

Veritas Media Prodcutions
Santa Fe NM
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...