DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/98077-vegas-video-discussions-2004-q3q4.html)

Yi Fong Yu July 4th, 2004 04:11 PM

i don't have vegas5 yet but on a related note,

if you buy ONE copy of vegas5 that comes with 2 MORE nodes of network render, does that mean that you can install vegas5 on total of 3 computers and edit on all 3 computers at the same time regardless of render? i'm guessing that this only applies to the render nodes and not the editing software itself. it's sorta like microsoft windows xp. if you buy one copy you can only install it on one computer, correct?

Edward Troxel July 4th, 2004 10:08 PM

You can buy one copy of Vegas and install it on three computers. You can then network render with those other two computers.

You CANNOT legal edit on all three computers AT THE SAME TIME.

Edward Troxel July 4th, 2004 10:10 PM

When you capture from minidv, you don't set any properties - you just capture. Over firewire it's like copying a file from the tape to the hard drive.

Frame mode is still 29.97.

Yi Fong Yu July 4th, 2004 10:45 PM

is there a equivalent of adobe premiere's razor tool in vegas?

i like to cut the clips in half but i've yet to find th equivalent. anyone?

Yi Fong Yu July 4th, 2004 10:47 PM

i notice that. but since it is 29.97, then does this mean that all of the rest my steps should be in 29.97 and nothing else?

step1:
this is now understood to be fixed depending on your camera/tape. if you have a 24p capture then your dv tape will have 24p here, is this correct?

what about the rest of the steps? how do i do steps2 through 4?

Stephen van Vuuren July 4th, 2004 11:43 PM

XL1s frame mode is 29.97p - that means each field in the 60 interlaced fields per second signal is progressive.

Capture is just 29.97 standard mini-DV. For project properties, choose 29.97, set to progressive and deinterlacing to "none". That's all.

Stephen van Vuuren July 4th, 2004 11:45 PM

"Split" (hit the "s" on keyboard and highlight clip with be cut in at cursor point).

Stephen van Vuuren July 4th, 2004 11:46 PM

External Control Surfaces Anyone

The mackie universal control surface is a cool $1000. Anyone tried any less (much less) expensive alternatives with the generic driver?

Peter Jefferson July 5th, 2004 03:25 AM

go get urself a Phatboy, or a kenton midi station :)
these are midi controller devices for audio, btu worl fine with V5.

I use my Yamaha RS7000 workstation :)

Peter Jefferson July 5th, 2004 03:27 AM

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Rob Lohman July 5th, 2004 04:05 AM

I'm gonna be a bit harsh here, sorry <g> There is a sticky thread
on top of this forum called:

Quick reference: Vegas shortcuts and mouse gestures 1.0b

It links to a PDF that contains all these nice little keyboard
shortcuts and other much used tricks in Vegas to complement
the manual (in which you could also have found the split option).

Please take the time to view and read the PDF in the link above!

Thanks.

Edward Troxel July 5th, 2004 07:54 AM

This has to be one of the most asked questions from people coming from Premiere. Fortunately, in Vegas you don't need a "tool" that you have to select to simply split clips into multiple pieces. As Rob said, there's LOTS of keypresses that can help speed your workflow.

Yi Fong Yu July 5th, 2004 09:54 AM

ok ,great thanks!!! =).

Yi Fong Yu July 5th, 2004 10:00 AM

thx for the links.

Robert Kirkpatrick July 5th, 2004 10:36 AM

16:9 and Vegas

Hi. I just discovered my rinky-dink Canon ZR20 has a squished 16:9 widescreen function. I'm using Vegas 5, and I had some quick questions that I'm trying to figure out.

1) The widescreen format looks fine in Vegas. The source media file is NTSC Widescreen. The veg project file is NTSC Widescreen. However, when I render to NTSC DV Widescreen format, the resulting file still appears squished in Quicktime or Windows Media player. Is this normal? I'm assuming that it is -- and that it will only look "correct" on a proper monitor/TV or if I render to a widescreen DVD.

2) Since I primarily make avi's, wmv's, and mov files, I'd like the widescreen look without the black bars. Is there anyway I can do this -- getting rid of the bars -- in Vegas? When I just try to crop the footage or when I try to change the actual render video size, I either get black bars or more squish. It seems rather bone-headed of me not to figure it out, but I can't quite figure this out.

Thanks.