DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/98077-vegas-video-discussions-2004-q3q4.html)

Josh Bass July 6th, 2004 03:15 PM

generated media and time code

I've noticed that with my current settings, when I create and try to edit an effect with generated media (let's say, for instance I want to change the color of some text over time), the time code in the generated media's dialogue box is ITS OWN, as opposed to the timecode of the project/timeline. What I mean is, let's say my project is 5 minutes long, and I want this text to appear at the two and a half minute mark. I would expect that when I right-click on the event with the generated media, and select "edit generated media", and then properties, that the time code I would see in the little dialogue box, when I add or alter key frames, would begin at 00:02:30:00, right? No. Instead, I get the event's own time code. So let's say it's a ten second long event, no matter where it is in the timeline of the project, the timecode for that event will be 00:00:00:00 through 00:00:10:00.

Is there a way to change this? It's not like this with pre-existing events, like captured video files. . .those will conform to the project's time code. Just not the generated media, for some reason. It makes it easy for me to create and alter the keyframes if I know where in the project, timecodewise, they do their business.

Does this make any sense? I looked through all the preferences, and couldn't find anything that seemed to change the settings.

Edward Troxel July 6th, 2004 03:20 PM

What you are seeing is normal. The timeline will show you the length of the media. If it is 5 seconds, that timeline will be five seconds long beginning at 0. Take a video clip, split it in a couple of sections, and open Pan/Crop on one of those sections. You'll see the exact same thing.

Josh Bass July 6th, 2004 03:29 PM

Hmm. Perhaps you only get the timeline's timecode when you apply FX to the event, then? I'll have to experiment.

Josh Bass July 6th, 2004 03:48 PM

Nope, that ain't right either.

Well, I just don't get it. I know in the past it's worked the way I previously described, and in addition, I could get the little cursor on the keyframe timeline to move when I played the video in the project timeline, so that'd they move in sync. I am quite perplexed. Is there a setting I can adjust? Newer version of Vegas 4?

Simon Wyndham July 6th, 2004 04:17 PM

I've got it working now. Nice and smooth with Windows Blinds. Haven't noticed a performance drop and I'm only running on a 1.33ghz Athlon!

I could never use it with theming turned off. Far too plain and makes me feel like I'm using something from the 1980's :-) With 1gb of memory and todays processor speeds I really don't believe turning off the theming would make any real world difference.

Edward Troxel July 6th, 2004 05:20 PM

The timeline works the way you describe when adjusting Track Motion or track level effects.

Just because the timeline doesn't match doesn't mean you can't use the Sync Cursor option. However, Sync Cursor DOES NOT WORK with generated media (never has).

Edward Troxel July 6th, 2004 05:22 PM

So what did you change to get it working the way you wanted????

Trey Perrone July 7th, 2004 01:45 AM

well, i suppose if you enjoy having your desktop look like something from fisher price.....

Simon Wyndham July 7th, 2004 02:39 AM

After all the messing around I found I had Vegas 5 in the 'by application' section. Deleetd hat and it worked fine.

As for the Fisher Price thing, I am running a theme that looks very business like actually :-) I hate those themes that look like something from a sci fi film etc. The one I am using is very usable and looks LESS Fisher Price than the default XP look, so there :-)

Trey Perrone July 7th, 2004 03:50 AM

dont get me wrong, im not trying to insult you or any other person that uses the default or any other theme.

even running at 2800+ and 1G DDR i still prefer all the visual themes/shadows/fade menus etc etc turned off.

the default XP theme does bring fisher price to my mind every time i see it though....

Simon Wyndham July 7th, 2004 03:59 AM

no offense taken. Everyone has their own personal preferences.

I have noticed that the interface is much more responsive with Windows Blinds than it is with the XP theme. This is probably because Windows Blinds skins the Windows Classic look rather than the XP one.

But further to all of this, I have always used Dr Salmans Power Tools as it produces a very significant response increase to the Windows interface, particularly where the Start Menu is concerned.

Trey Perrone July 7th, 2004 04:08 AM

dunno bout that stuph too much....

used to use the old windows power tools back in the 95/98 days..

then 2k came along and rocked hard. didnt do much except add in msconfig from the winME version

now i just use services.msc to config everything in background
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
(this is in another post recently as well)

im happy with classic (on rainy day scheme)

Aaron Koolen July 7th, 2004 05:29 AM

Vegas composition question...

I have some footage that has a couple of one frame dropouts that I'd like to remove. They sit above nonmoving areas. I was thinking that I'd be able to make a couple of little bezier masks over the footage where the dropouts are, place a frame of the background with no dropouts underneath (on top?) and composite through so that the dropouts disappear on that frame.

I've always been confused with Vegas' compositing and now I'm in Vegas 5 it seems worse. I just don't understand it well at all.

Is there a way to do what I'm after?

Cheers
Aaron

Edward Troxel July 7th, 2004 07:16 AM

Doesn't sound overly difficult. Take a look at vol 1 #12 of my newsletters to see a similar effect using the cookie cutter.

Marcia Janine Galles July 7th, 2004 12:13 PM

Need help: capture/audio questions

Hi all. Am home for a brief couple days, then am back out in the field for the second half of my shoot. Thing is, while trying to capture one of my tapes in Vegas 5, I about had a heart attack as it was out of sync in the preview window of the advance capture tab while I was logging, but after I batch captured it, and played it in Vegas, it played fine. What gives? Don't rem. seeing that in V 4, but I've been so focused on pre-prod and production for so long now, maybe I'm mis-remembering. Should I be concerned? Could I have some setting wrong? It's all shot on my DVX (24pA), and I'm bringing it in w/ 48k audio and 23.976 (IVTC film). Why would the preview window while logging be so off?

Marcia