Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 63 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 23rd, 2004, 09:27 AM   #931
New Boot

Bad Cut in Vegas

NEWBIE question!

I've got a video event and audio event in vegas that I'm editing. When I make cuts, I set in and out markers, select between them and delete. Ok fine and dandy until the one time that I screw up and just delete from the audio line. I keep rolling along, and looking for "bad" video where I want to cut next, not really listening (it's a football game). When I get to the end of the game, I find my screwup that I had lost audio sync. Is there anything I can do other than undo back to the screwup and redo everything after that?
Old September 23rd, 2004, 10:19 AM   #932
Sponsor: JET DV

Make sure that either BOTH the audio and video tracks are selected OR, if you're using a selection area, just press CTRL-SHIFT-A to deselect everything before pressing Delete.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 11:31 AM   #933
New Boot

Thanks. I was hoping that there would be a way to skip a forward action after undoing to the point of the error.

Since I wanted to delete the Video also, I just figured out that once I found the error with undo, I could forward to my last instruction and go back to delete the video portion.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 05:47 PM   #934
Inner Circle

Ok way of undoing things:
Select your clip.
Put the playhead in the middle of the clip. Click on the area below all your tracks.
right click your clip and select "open in trimmer".
Drag the video back into the timeline. Delete the original video. You can right click the track (on the left column of your screen) and select "expand track layers" to make your life easier.

If you have to do this process for multiple clips then there might be a way to undo things with less button pushing.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 10:27 PM   #935
Regular Crew

Rendering

I am using a rather cheap camera, a Hi-8, and have been doing all of my video with it thus far. The only method I have for uploading is an analog converter that shrinks the picture down to a very small resoultion. I think it is 320x280 or in that area. Now when I render it, it causes people in the distance to have their faces blurred. Is there any recommendation you guys have, short of buying a new camera, that can help improve this?

Mitch
Old September 23rd, 2004, 11:00 PM   #936
Inner Circle

1- You might be able to use Virtualdub and capture to whatever format you want.

Without knowing which capture card you're using and what drivers it uses (VFW or WDM) it's hard to say what you should do.

Virtualdub should be free.

2- new camera: You could get a digital8 camera, which will read hi8 tapes and convert them to DV.

Caveats:
You're stuck with another dying format. If you lose or break your camera then you may have a lot of trouble accessing your footage.
Old digital8 cameras are better than the newer ones.

You could get any other camera to use as a analog-digital convertor (check that they have analog-digital passthrough). Of course, you might as well use that camera from that point on instead provided that it's better than your hi8.

3- Which NLE are you using?
Old September 24th, 2004, 01:46 AM   #937
Regular Crew

not all digi8s will feed hi8 through firewire though, a buddy of mine got one (dont know the model number) that wouldnt.. ...I know most of them do, you can get TRV-103s (nice cam) off of ebay for $250 if you keep your eye out for them.... ...highly recomend this route over analog capture, asside from deck control, you don't have to worry about dropped frames at the higher res that you get from alot of consumer capture solutions.
Old September 24th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #938
Regular Crew

Doug,

There is a script called MediaSync that you might take a look at that can get you back in sync. You can identify a master track of video for example, and then a slave track of audio. The script will resync all of the audio to the video events. If you get out of sync again, just rerun the script.

You can get infomation about it here:
http://www.peachrock.com/software/mediasync.html

Excalibur also has an align audio/video wizard that you might want to look at.

Randall
Old September 25th, 2004, 10:08 AM   #939
Regular Crew

yea ive definately had this prob with dirty head in a camera...i think i ran a tape cleaner and re-recorded over it. ive seen the horizontal lines happen several times on different cameras and on some vd decks at our school.

have you been using the same brand of tape? it seems to happen more when you swap between wet/dry lube tapes

i would run a head cleaner yo....

if it doesnt work, is it possible to send it to a diff deck or cam? then it would rule out the tape or deck/cam

Old September 25th, 2004, 10:16 AM   #940
Regular Crew

you could get a cheap miniDV for under $400

then xfer all your 8mm footage to it via RCA wires or whatnot, so now its on miniDV and you can suck it thru 1394 into your NLE

dont get a samsung miniDV...i got one a year ago to keep the wear on heads down on my gl1/xl1s and it has broken 3 times...the firewire port keeps going out and they keep sending me different cams, now the last one they sent the focus wont work.

Old September 25th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #941
Regular Crew

Yep, VirtualDub rocks in that department. I'm doing the same thing with a Star Wars Trilogy LD set. I have excellent 60i->24p results although I need to make some adjustments to the levels. The whites are getting blown out...
Old September 25th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #942
Regular Crew

Capturing video

How do you change the frame rate that you capture the video at from 30fps?
Old September 25th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #943
RED Problem Solver

I found that the laserdiscs didn't have constant cadence, making pulldown removal problematic when using Cinema Tools, although the end result ended up looking pretty darn good.

Graeme
Old September 25th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #944
Regular Crew

DVD Architect - add video without adding a menu item

I am creating the DVD for a 45+ video and have been keeping the end credits in a separate video file.

I want to have both the main video and the end credits video files on the DVD, and also want to have only one button on the title page of the DVD.

Right now, when I add the second video file, a second button appears on the main title page. If I delete the second button, the corresponding footage also disappears from the DVD.

The question is, how do I add multipart video without having a button for each of the parts.

Thank you!

-- Andre
Old September 25th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #945
Regular Crew

Jay, please provide a working link

Jay, please provide a working link.

Thanks
-- Andre
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...