Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 81 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 21st, 2004, 08:44 AM   #1201
Sponsor: JET DV

The Credit Roll is one of the articles in the next issue of the newsletter. It's now nearing completion. There's multiple ways of getting information into the credit roll and I tell about what I consider the easiest method. In your case, the easiest was definitely to select the line (the header of the line, not the text itself) where you wanted the new line to be and press Insert. However, you could also have copied a line a pasted it there as well.
Old October 21st, 2004, 09:08 AM   #1202
Regular Crew

OK - running network rendering on a single machine solved that problem!

I rendered 5 jobs last night without a problem. I was doing a final edit "fix up" pass on a play I was hired to tape. Edited each reel, saved the changes, queued them up to the network render (after I figured out how to start it - not hard). And watched it start the first one.

Went to bed, came back this morning with a cup of coffee and the world is a beautiful place.

You mean I can get paid to do this?
Old October 21st, 2004, 09:28 AM   #1203
Tourist

FX - How-to ? Clone effect

Hi there,

Just started with Vegas a few days ago....

Will post some questions in the near future :) so please be patient ;)

Also want to say that first of all I searched the web (thus founded this forum) and then searched the forums....
And think that this question was not covered.... If it was accept my appologyes maybe didnīt selected the right search keywords...

Now my question...
I would like to make the "Clone" effect (me against me)
But somewhere I canīt get it to work..

For testing I :
1. I shooted my Living room without any characters
2. I shooted myself at the right of the living room (no blue screen)
3. I shooted myself at the left of the living room (no blue screen)

Can you guys point me the steps of such effect ?

Cheers!
Jose Luis
Old October 21st, 2004, 09:28 AM   #1204
Sponsor: JET DV

Sounds great. Glad it all worked.
Old October 21st, 2004, 10:07 AM   #1205
Regular Crew

Checkout Ultimate S - Incredible Tool

All,
VASST just released their new tool called Ultimate S that has an incredible array of mega-time saver customizeable scripts in one template-saveable application. You set up the parameters and hit one button and the tool does all the work. WOW! Get a free 14 day trial download here: http://www.vasst.com/ultimate.htm. This is a must have for any Vegas editor!
Randy
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:39 PM   #1206
Trustee

Hmm. I am not sure about the solution to the problem, and I don't mean any disrespect here, it's just my personal preference, I think that your before shots look more natural. I think perhaps the after shots have been overdone a little.

Hehe, but then I might just have a badly adjusted monitor.

Which THX test did you do? Hopefully not the one that comes on DVDs, as that one is setup for the film DVD on which it comes rather than being a definitive test setup (I'm not assuming that you have, but just in case I thought I'd mention it).
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:49 PM   #1207
Trustee

Pipe dream? Hmm, depends. By the time HD becomes the must have format and all HD prices are down to the prices all SD equipment in their various categories are at the moment, the FX1 will have been superceded. But your footage will be slightly well future proofed.

With a straight deinterlace you will be getting effectively 540 lines, not 720, less than the res of a SD 24p camera..

I think the FX1 would be better thought of as a tool in it's own right rather than the saviour of the low budget filmmaker. It's a forerunner. Not the solution. Perhaps you should exploit it for what it can do rather than what it can't.

Although I use progressive all the time and love the look, I do actually lkike the smoothness that interlacing brings sometimes.

Problem with HD on a prosumer camera is the lenses. I would bet that half of the FX1's potential is being eliminated by consumer/prosumer grade glass.
Old October 21st, 2004, 04:24 PM   #1208
New Boot

website for free generic clips

Does anyone know of a website where they might have generic clips for free download, such as a countdown or a screen of video noise (snow)?
Old October 21st, 2004, 05:30 PM   #1209
Regular Crew

If you want to generate your own test tones, consider the following:

http://www.soft411.com/company/Timo-...-Generator.htm
http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/
http://www.download.com/SigJenny/300...ml?tag=lst-0-3
Old October 21st, 2004, 06:19 PM   #1210
Major Player

Try this?

http://www.archive.org/movies/prelinger.php
Old October 21st, 2004, 06:53 PM   #1211
Obstreperous Rex

I was lucky enough to have this shown to me by DSE himself -- and it looks great! I think I'm gonna jump ship and switch to Vegas!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:36 PM   #1212
Wrangler

Are you serious Chris?! What NLE are you on now?
Old October 21st, 2004, 08:13 PM   #1213
Obstreperous Rex

I have an aging Canopus DV Rex RT.

It's either going to be Edius or Vegas for me.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old October 21st, 2004, 08:26 PM   #1214
Regular Crew

Chris,
You won't be sorry. Vegas rocks! Ultimate S is fabulous and I'm thinking there will be many more great products following suit. The future looks bright for sure.
Randy
Old October 21st, 2004, 08:58 PM   #1215
Regular Crew

I believe that the movie film THX test is the same test regardless of the movie DVD. I have tried the test along with the special color test with blue glasses on several of the DVDs that I own and the settings did not change from one movie to the other in my experience.

The color is not as severe of a change on the TV as it is on computer monitors. I adjusted while watching it on my TV screen and not on the monitor.

The brightness setting has got me confused as it is whole lot more than the factory default settings of a TV or computer monitor. This makes these pictures a whole lot more darker than what I had made them. After talking to a person in the know on commercial DVD's tonight, I have decided to start from scratch and redo the brightness so that it looks best at the midway point on TV screen and monitor. For me this would be 31 or 32 for brightness on my TV screen that adjusts from 0-63 and 50 on the monitor screen that adjusts from 0-100.

I had hoped that Douglas Spotted Eagle would have responded here as he made no mention on his training DVD's (vegas 4 and 5) on the brightness settings to use in vegas on his training DVDs. He did mention on using the color bars to adjust the color but have no idea how to use this for adjusting the brightness. Is there not a standard broadcast standard for brightness? Is this the factory default setting on TV's, which would be the half way point on the TV settings? Is the midway brightness settings on TV's the same for all of them? I am basically looking to make the brightness of the video footage at a point where anyone can stick the DVD in their player and not have to adjust their settings for viewing the footage.

It was not my decision to change the colors but the people that I am working the footage for wanted the footage to have warmer skin tones than what the original footage showed. My preference to this is not a concern as I am basically giving the people who are paying for the footage what they want. It is my opinion that cooler skin tones always look better than warmer skin tones as I have a preference to the blue side over the red.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...