Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 83 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 22nd, 2004, 06:09 PM   #1231
Major Player

Not dumb at all. I need it for a (hoped for) hand off of my project to a sound house/sound guy. Specs vary widely in terms of length and order, but as a general rule they ask for black, (color) bars and tone (the "tone" part being what I was searching for) and a countdown of some sort (often 1 sec that reads "Picture start" followed by 1 sec each of numbers 8 to 2, with a pop/beep at the two, to verify/sync up picture. After the 2 pop there's usually another 1 sec of black, after which FFOP (first frame of picture) comes up at TC 01:00:08:00. I've also made the highest track on the timeline a timecode track, "burned in" for ease of onscreen verification. And I'll give them an EDL that went from Vegas to EDL Convert Pro, which can turn it into an OMF or ProTools EDL. Of course, as Spot mentioned, if I could find a good local Sound Forge guy that I could just give a veg file to, none of this would be necessary. But the only people I know though use ProTools.

It may all be a moot point anyway as I'm totally out of money, but I want to have it ready to go at a moments notice if I can find a way to swing this. In all honesty, my audio on this doc is better than a lot of docs already released that I've watched of late, but I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist. And the audio on mine makes me crazy. (One clip filmed at a med cntr we dubbed the "Starship Enterprise room"... it really sounds like you're onboard, I swear.) There were just two of us, with very little experience. We did the best we could, but I'd like it to sound a whole lot better. It's such an important story. It deserves the best I can give it.

Take care,
Marcia
Old October 22nd, 2004, 10:21 PM   #1232
Trustee

Having problem connecting FX1 to Vegas Video Capture

I'm not much of a Window Savvy and having problem making the FX1 showing up on Video Capture device. Anyone knows what I might be doing wrong?
Old October 23rd, 2004, 01:13 AM   #1233
Regular Crew

Vegas 5 Equivalent to Premiere+Adobe After Effects

Hello, I have a copy of Premiere 6.0 and currently looking for After Effects 5.5 to go along with Premiere.

But I was wondering if I should take the Sony Vegas+DVD 2 (student discount) route and learn that software from scratch....

or

continue using Adobe Premiere 6.0 and purchase a copy of After Effects 5.5.

My main concern is, will Vegas 5 do everything Premiere+AE can do? Or must I purchase a third-party plug-in with Vegas 5 to be equivalent (in terms of motion graphics and visual effects) with Premiere+AE?
Old October 23rd, 2004, 02:27 AM   #1234
Regular Crew

Kevin,
I don't know Permiere but I've heard Spot and others, who know this and other applications, say several times that Vegas 5 and DVDA2 is their choice over all other editors. I've seen Spot demonstrate Vegas 5 to other NLE users and I saw jaws drop and heard audible gasps along with "did you see that" verbal outbursts. Give it a try. You won't be disapointed.
Randy
Old October 23rd, 2004, 04:45 AM   #1235
RED Code Chef

Spot, where is this contest? It was asked in another thread as well:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=25358

Can't seem to find it either...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 23rd, 2004, 05:02 AM   #1236
RED Code Chef

It seems I was wrong in the other thread and Vegas (capture
at least) does not yet support this camera. Which is a bummer.
It sounds like they are working on an update and/or
Vegas5 + CineForm which should be out soon though (from
what I read at their forum).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 23rd, 2004, 06:12 AM   #1237
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas will not do everything that Premiere + AE can do. However, it CAN do a large portion of it. Vegas has some great compositing abilities but still not quite as many as AE. There ARE some addons which do raise the abilities up to the same level (i.e. Boris Red for example) and AE can also be used in conjunction with Vegas.

So, I guess the big question would be: what AE abilities do you need? Vegas may do what you need on it's own.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 06:15 AM   #1238

Rob, look here: http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/he...b_projects.asp
Old October 23rd, 2004, 08:32 AM   #1239

ConnectHD already supports Vegas wiith a capture card. The Sony/Vegas team has thrown their support behind BlackMagic Design however.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 09:28 AM   #1240
Trustee

Sony has started mass advertising Vegas5, Acid and Sound Forge.

i was just reading this month's Sound & Visiong magazine when i noticed the advertisement on p.113. GOOD JOB SONY!!!

and now the rest of the world will gain more respect for vegas. the ad also states that the packages are being sold @best buy , compusa, circuit city.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 09:57 AM   #1241

The product being sold at those outlets is the "Movie Studio" version - not the full version of those products.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 12:34 PM   #1242
Trustee

but still, @least there is ads on these things! i mean for the longest time vegas was the most under-represented product on the market... now that is about to change.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 01:05 PM   #1243
New Boot

FYI: Your login process seems to be non functional, i tried a few times yesterday, and today...

I too would like to know of this contest
Old October 23rd, 2004, 01:19 PM   #1244
Inner Circle

I wouldn't count on it changing by much. I was reading up on Sony's high-end hidef editing system ... the Xpri I believe it is called. Very impressive system, designed to go head to head with the high end Avid systems. (And costing big bucks.) My guess is that Sony will find itself in the same conundrum as Avid. Why migrate high end aspects of their software down to the low end... when you can sell it at a higher price/profit margin in the high end?

Watch and wait.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 06:51 PM   #1245
Major Player

Edward Troxel and 24 frame conversion

Edward has a free vegas 5 plugin or script (I think) for converting to 24 frames in vegas (I believe it also creates a filmic look). Does anyone know what it is called and where I can find it?

Thanks
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...