Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 86 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 28th, 2004, 07:49 AM   #1276
Inner Circle

i dont bother with vegas titling anymore..
i use a nice cheap and effective program called BluffTitler and i set my background to a chroma key colour (usually green) or black if im in the mood to do some real compositing thru combustion

less than a hundred bux and it goes what boris graffitti does but its ALOT faster and easier to use.. better on PC resources too..
Old October 28th, 2004, 07:52 AM   #1277
Major Player

firewire HDD and camera

It appears I cannot use one three port firewire card to both attach the hard drive, containing the footage and the .Veg file, plus the connection to the destination camera for recording a PTT. Using this setup, the picture on the camera's LCD starts jumping around and only a blue screen shows up, no image.

Anyone experienced similar problems? Any solutions?

Scott
Old October 28th, 2004, 07:53 AM   #1278
Inner Circle

maestro will do DTS..
I jsut got liquid six for the showroom so im still to expereiment with it, but i don think it does..

DTS production and trademark usage requires license aqcuisition, which isnt cheap.. which is why i dont use it.. it also eats up abotu twice as much as ac3

one thing to note if ur doing this for commercial purposes, you MUST inlude either an uncompressed PCM wav file, or an AC3 soundtrack.
DVD Comliance requires any one of these 2 formats as mandotory audio formats. DTS is an elective format which, when delivered, must also be included within the same package (not necessarily the same disc) as a conformed DVD using PCM or AC3.

if ur jstu doin it for person use, ignore what i jstu said..
Old October 28th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #1279
Regular Crew

You should be able to use this configuration. Using a different firewire card may solve this for you.

Gary
Old October 28th, 2004, 09:57 AM   #1280
Regular Crew

Vegas on a Mac?

I think I already know the answer to my own question, but I will ask it anyway!

Is there any possible way for me to run Sony Vegas 5.0 on an Apple Mac G4 PowerBook?

I am a Vegas user, which I have on my desktop, but would also like to run it on a laptop for mobility purposes. Rather than buy a new laptop, I was hoping I would be able to run Vegas on my Apple PowerBook.

I'm not a great fan or expert of the Apple interface so I don't know much about using Windows intended applications on it.

I am assuming my intentions are impossible, but if by some miracle there is a way to run Vegas on a Mac, would somebody please share knowledge!

Thank you very much guys!
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:23 AM   #1281
Wrangler

I believe there are XP emulators out there that will allow you to run Windows programs on the Mac. It might be possible but more than likely very buggy. Vegas was written for the P4.

My suggestion- sell that overpriced hunk-o-...well you get the picture. And pick up something like a Toshiba widescreen laptop. More power and less $$ than the powerbooks.
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:58 AM   #1282
Sponsor: JET DV

Short answer is: NO

You may be able to do some functions but I would not expect it to run well and I would not expect it to capture or print video. You can buy a $600 PC that runs it quite well, though.
Old October 28th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #1283
Major Player

multiple monitors

Hi Folks,

I hope this is just the easiest thing that I just don't know. I got the SAGER - 8790 and I really love it. And I got another monitor so I can move some of the Vegas stuff over to the other monitor. But I don't really know how to accomplish this.

Suggestions? Directions?

Thanks for the help - BTW - I think this forum is really about the best out there.

Thanks,
Milt
Old October 28th, 2004, 06:30 PM   #1284
Regular Crew

In XP, right-click on the desktop.
Choose Porperties > Settings>

Find the monitor and choose Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor.

Gary
Old October 28th, 2004, 06:33 PM   #1285
Regular Crew

Not sure..did you accidentally abort by hitting the keyboard?

Gary
Old October 28th, 2004, 07:20 PM   #1286
New Boot

Vegas Veg Files

Thank you Kyle and Ed for your help. If I was to open the veg file and modify it as needed and render the file what would be the best for format to render it to. I am thinking a standard avi file. Would that be correct or would there be something better.
Old October 28th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #1287
Sponsor: JET DV

That depends a little on exactly what you want to do. If you want to use the alpha channel (so the black background is transparent) you will need to render to uncompressed AVI. If you just want to bring the title over as a regular clip, DV-AVI is fine.
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:04 PM   #1288
Major Player

Best to render it to an uncompressed avi or a lossless codec like Huffyuv to give best quality for any output. Just remember to render it at the same resolution, frame rate, etc as the destination project so you don't get funky motion and other wierdness.

Remember if you want to tweak it you'll have to return to the other project, tweak, then rerender, then reimport. That's why in situations like this I tend to work all in one project. Sounds like it doesn't apply to your situation though.
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #1289

Hawaii

To any/all in Hawaii or those planning on visiting the islands during the Sony Hawaii Expo at the Ala Moana Hotel on November 2-4, the Hawaiian Vegas Users Group will be having a small get together.
Would love to see/meet some of you! We've always had a great time in the past. Especially when Randy Stewart takes us to the out-of-the-way places only the locals know about. :-)

Drop me a note if you'd like to hang w/us. dse at sundancemediagroup dot com
http://www.vasst.com
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:19 PM   #1290

Usually this is relevant to the card sharing additional resources with other hardware or software resources.
Try moving the card to a new slot, or as Gary suggested, shoot for another card.
Generally, this is no problem unless you are running an OHCI card that has a VIA chipset on it, and even then, the newer VIA chipsets aren't having issues.
I've got one machine with THREE cards in it, all connected to various devices. (beta machine)
http://www.vasst.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...