DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/98077-vegas-video-discussions-2004-q3q4.html)

Aaron Koolen July 1st, 2004 05:12 PM

Where can I get a good Vegas Scripting book?

Hi guys. I'm wanting to play around with Vegas Scripting. I have some reference materials for the API's but they are pretty sparse.

NOTE: I am a software developer by trade so I don't want an intro to programming book, just some practical information, like what you might find on Vegas Tips and Tricks, just a lot more.

Also anything with information like why you'd get certain errors when programming Vegas scripts, common pitfalls etc would be great.

This query arose cause I can't actually find much out there when googling etc. All I wanted to do at first was add a Track to the timeline. Using example code I got a track added, but them immediately get an error about some non referenced object. Must be doing something silly.

Cheers
Aaron

Randall Campbell July 1st, 2004 06:23 PM

Well, I think that I have a scripting solution to this problem. I have written a script called TimecodeSync that will sync multiple audio or video tracks to a master track. You can then edit and move around the master track events and when you are ready, rerun the script to realign everything.

If you are syncing files that do not have time code (like .wav files), then you simply need to make sure that they start in sync (i.e. if you put them all on separate tracks starting at time zero, they would play correctly).

If you are syncing files that do have time code, and the time codes are not in sync, you can manually align the slave to the master, then press a button on the script form to adjust the slave's starting time code automatically so that they will sync correctly.

I have tested it with some media on my machine, but would like someone else to take a look at it before I make it more available.

If anyone would like to try this out, please let me know by emailing me at:

info@peachrock.com

Thanks,

Randall

Edward Troxel July 2nd, 2004 07:45 AM

Take a look here:

http://www.ayizwe.net/VegasScripts/

Particularly, look at the FAQ pages.

I also have several scripting articles in my newsletter:

http://www.jetdv.com/tts

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 2nd, 2004 02:03 PM

DVD Architect update is available...

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...p2.asp?DID=519

Build 121. Fixes some MPEG GUI issues, plus repairs the rare, but real, disappearing button problem.

Kevin Kimmell July 2nd, 2004 02:45 PM

Which crossfades for video effects?

I have been moving right along with my editing and with each new scene in each new project I figure more and more out. Thanks to everone who has pointed me in the right directions and offered their sage advice.

Now, I'm at the point where I'm working great with crossfades using the composite level tracking. This has been working great.

I've also started to work some video effects in and am getting comfortable with many of them. Now, I'm mixing crossfades and effects by setting a level where one video stream is about 70-80% of the scene and the other is the remainder.

Once I'm satisfied with the mix I highlight a loop region and SPLIT the video at both ends. Then I add the desired effects to the lighter of the two video mixes. I'm getting what I consider for my purposes some very visually pleasing results.

My problem is the fading into and out of these effects-laden periods and making it look smooth. I'm guessing that I just need to make sure not to fade in until the effect is ON and to be sure to fade out before the end of the split.

Are there any other suggestions as to how to best accomplish this with a clean look? Also, if I want to effect both tracks the would I need to copy a larger section to a third track and use it as my fade in/out track?

Thanks,
Kevin

Peter Jefferson July 2nd, 2004 08:09 PM

A bug has been fixed that caused DVD Architect to crash when previewing or preparing a disc while the application was building peaks for an AC-3 file.

YAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!
Bout time!

Peter Jefferson July 2nd, 2004 08:16 PM

never set a value to zero ;)

sometimes a "jump" will be noticable (especialyl with lighting) so always use a value of 1 instead of 0 when "resetting to none"

also, try to use less keyfrmaes.. the lower number u have the smoother the results (unless ur doing key frame by frame, or no more than 25/30 depending on ntsc or pal its jsut that wee bit smoother

Edward Troxel July 2nd, 2004 08:43 PM

It also let my Pioneer drive burn at 2X instead of being stuck on 1X even if you picked 2X!

Michael Wisniewski July 3rd, 2004 07:36 AM

Randall thanks, your MultiRender script is the best one I've used. It is exactly what I was hoping somebody would finally get around to writing. Sony should include it with Vegas. I'll have to check out your other scripts when I get a chance. Are you going to sell it when you're done? How much? Totally worth it for me.

I just used it to finish several pending DVD projects that were hanging because the other multiple project script broke in V5.

I like that you can save re-usable jobs. Great for DVDA templates that I've already setup. I just re-render using the same generic file names. Also the installer for V5 is great.

Some notes after using it:
----------------------------------
1. I'd like the "renderer" and "template" options to stay the same after I add a job. Everytime I added a job to the queue, those two selections defaulted to the top selection in the combo box - not a big deal, just kinda cool to do.

2. Autofill the "Job Name" when a Vegas project is open and you start MultiRender. It autofills fine when Vegas is empty and you browse to a project.

3. Turn the MultiRender window opaque when it finishes rendering - it stayed transparent after it was done, which is a little confusing. ** The MultiRender window turned transparent when it started rendering, is it supposed to do that? It's a cool effect and I like it. Stops people from using the computer during the render. A check box to make it say "Do Not Touch, rendering in progress" would be cool too.

4. Lastly, add a check-box to use Network Rendering to speed up the encoding.

But those are all minor points, it is a very useful script, it saves a ton of time, and makes Vegas very user friendly. Thanks again.

Peter Jefferson July 3rd, 2004 07:39 AM

could anyone figure if this update allows for DVD projects OVER 4.7 gb.. or do u think they forgot.. ???

basically supporting the new dual layered burners..

Randall Campbell July 3rd, 2004 08:33 AM

Thanks Michael and thanks for the feedback.

I am planning on selling the scripts, but have not finalized the pricing yet.

Answers to your questions:

1. I could not reproduce this. When I add a job, the renderer and template stay the same. Were you opening a new project? When you open a new project, I set the renderer and template based upon the project video settings.

2. Good catch. Don't know why I didn't do that. It will be there in the next release.

3. The window goes transparent so that you can see the Vegas render progress window. It stays transparent after the queue is empty because it is monitoring the queue waiting for additional jobs. You could open another instance of Vegas, run MultiRender and add jobs while the first instance is rendering. I often actually do use the computer while it is rendering. I can even be editing while it is rendering in the background.

4. I will take a look at this.

Thanks again, and I appreciate the feedback!

Randall

Michael Wisniewski July 3rd, 2004 09:43 AM

Quote:

... When you open a new project, I set the renderer and template based upon the project video settings.
Whoops, yes that's it, they change when a new project is opened. Perhaps an option to tell it to use the current settings or the project settings.

Quote:

The window goes transparent so that you can see the Vegas render progress window.
Yeah, I really appreciate this feature, makes total sense now that you've explained it. I was a bit confused because I've never seen it before, but it's a totally great way to set it up.

Randall Campbell July 3rd, 2004 11:19 AM

Ok. I will add an option to keep the current rendering options when you open a new project.

Thanks again!

Randall

Kevin Kimmell July 3rd, 2004 11:56 AM

You lost me here. I have no idea what values you're referring to. Perhaps my description of what I'm doing wasn't clear enough. I'll render a short clip and make it available when I get back from Vegas -- cousin's wedding; not the software :)

-Kevin

Michael Wisniewski July 3rd, 2004 02:26 PM

Severe combing / tearing / shearing - 16:9 video output to 4:3

Could someone explain why this happens?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
16:9 video output to 4:3 results in severe combing / tearing / shearing on fast panning/moving objects.

Setting the output to 16:9 widescreen clears it up.

Notes:
Spent some time tearing my hair out! The most obvious answers: Reduce Interlace Flicker, change the field order, use blur and a bunch of other wild goose chases did not work :-)

Edward Troxel July 3rd, 2004 03:02 PM

Support for dual layered burners was not added.

Rob Lohman July 3rd, 2004 04:19 PM

To what did you render? Which export settings did you use? What
where your project settings? Did you use best or good for exporting?

Michael Wisniewski July 3rd, 2004 04:27 PM

- Project properties were all defaults - fresh install of Vegas 5.
- Only thing I changed was Good to Best.
- Rendered to DVDA MPEG2 and DVDA AC-3 Stereo.
- Edits: basic crossfades between clips.

I'll post some video, so you can see, it's very disconcerting to see your hard won video like that :-)

Rob Lohman July 3rd, 2004 04:50 PM

Default project settings don't say much since I don't know what
they are. It probably starts up as 4:3 NTSC, but it might not. It is
VERY important to what project settings you have.

Rendering to DVDA doesn't tell me much either. Which MPEG2
template did you use?

David Jasany July 3rd, 2004 07:20 PM

Split Screen with Vegas 5

I'm trying to setup a split screen in Vegas 5 using a Media Generator, but I can't quite get it. This is what I'm doing:

3 Video tracks

Tracks 2 & 3 are my video that I want on the left side and right side, respectively.

Track 1 contains Media Generator/Checkerboard/Split Screen

No matter how I set the composite mode for each track I still can't get the desired effect, although I think this is where my problem lies.

Can you please tell me if this is correct and how the composite modes should be set? Thanks.

Glen Elliott July 3rd, 2004 07:38 PM

Media bin in Vegas Capture?

Just trudging through capturing 14 tapes for footage to compile my 2005 wedding demo DVD. I'm getting an accumulation of clips in the capture's "media bin. Is there a way to clear them from the bin? There are even clips in there from captures a while ago. I have the setting checked so that captured clips are NOT added to the media bin.

On another note- anyone ever wonder if mixing tapes ruined your heads- well...I'm going to find out. I just got a brand new Sony TRV-33 to do all my capturing. Like I said I have 14 tapes to capture....all different brands- some wet lube some dry. I'll let you know if the myth is indeed a myth or....not. Wish me luck. :)

Edward Troxel July 3rd, 2004 09:29 PM

Track 1 composite mode: Multiply (Mask)
Add a "Mask Effect" to the actual mask OR track 1.

Trey Perrone July 4th, 2004 03:10 AM

NetWorkRender<*sigh>i Wish

wouldn't this have been a decent setup.

http://insidecarolina.org/images/IMG_2109.JPG

stitchHost: AthlonXP 2800+ 1GBDDR
netwerkRenderMachines: Athlon 64 3000+ 512DDR, AthlonM 2800+ 512DDR, P4 2.4 512DDR

100 MB/s switch fullDuplex 100MB/s NIC setup
no programs, screensavers, antivirus, minimal driver load

.......but then i read that there was a limit of clients per license (2 i think?) gave up on the idea until some testing has been done and nothing is in the queue. can't plumb things up.

Rob Lohman July 4th, 2004 03:43 AM

Just select them and hit delete. If you are not at ease with this
system I suggest you try it out on a "capture" you don't care
about. This should only delete if from the bin and not from your disk.

Rob Lohman July 4th, 2004 04:35 AM

Is there a question in there somewhere? With your current license
there is a limit of two render nodes indeed. But I'm not quite
sure what your problem is here. 3 computers will do more than
one will. And you can buy extra render only licenses so you can
expand to as many PC's as you want.

Have you read the Sony Vegas 5 Network rendering White Paper?

If not do so. You can find it here: http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...p2.asp?DID=515

Edward Troxel July 4th, 2004 05:40 AM

Just buy a second copy of Vegas and you can use SIX machines.

Edward Troxel July 4th, 2004 05:43 AM

What if you just go to "File - New"?

David Jasany July 4th, 2004 03:10 PM

Thanks Edward, I'll give it a try. I assume the top track with the effect should be the parent, and the two video channels should both be a child.

Edward Troxel July 4th, 2004 03:33 PM

The TOP track is Parent, the MIDDLE track is Child, the THIRD track is back at the parent level.

Yi Fong Yu July 4th, 2004 04:08 PM

xl1s records 'frame' mode. do you capture/render in 24fps or 30?

with footage that has been captured in xl1s's frame mode how do you capture into computer and then render to final DVD that is 'anamorphic'? i'm using vegas4 w/DVD-Arch1.0. will upgrade later on but this is what i'm working with now.

step1:
in vegas under capture's preferences, under analog device options you can set the 'custom frame rate'. should i set this for 29.97ntsc or 24film? does this analog device options affect DV tape captures?

step2:
under 'video track properties' (right click on video track to select properties), there is a media tab, under that do you select the field order as progressive or leave it at 'lower field first'?

step3:
under 'project properties' do you select field order as progressive or 'lower field first'?

step4:
when you are finished editing and you are select 'render as', do you choose ntsc24p or ntsc30fps?

Yi Fong Yu July 4th, 2004 04:11 PM

i don't have vegas5 yet but on a related note,

if you buy ONE copy of vegas5 that comes with 2 MORE nodes of network render, does that mean that you can install vegas5 on total of 3 computers and edit on all 3 computers at the same time regardless of render? i'm guessing that this only applies to the render nodes and not the editing software itself. it's sorta like microsoft windows xp. if you buy one copy you can only install it on one computer, correct?

Edward Troxel July 4th, 2004 10:08 PM

You can buy one copy of Vegas and install it on three computers. You can then network render with those other two computers.

You CANNOT legal edit on all three computers AT THE SAME TIME.

Edward Troxel July 4th, 2004 10:10 PM

When you capture from minidv, you don't set any properties - you just capture. Over firewire it's like copying a file from the tape to the hard drive.

Frame mode is still 29.97.

Yi Fong Yu July 4th, 2004 10:45 PM

is there a equivalent of adobe premiere's razor tool in vegas?

i like to cut the clips in half but i've yet to find th equivalent. anyone?

Yi Fong Yu July 4th, 2004 10:47 PM

i notice that. but since it is 29.97, then does this mean that all of the rest my steps should be in 29.97 and nothing else?

step1:
this is now understood to be fixed depending on your camera/tape. if you have a 24p capture then your dv tape will have 24p here, is this correct?

what about the rest of the steps? how do i do steps2 through 4?

Stephen van Vuuren July 4th, 2004 11:43 PM

XL1s frame mode is 29.97p - that means each field in the 60 interlaced fields per second signal is progressive.

Capture is just 29.97 standard mini-DV. For project properties, choose 29.97, set to progressive and deinterlacing to "none". That's all.

Stephen van Vuuren July 4th, 2004 11:45 PM

"Split" (hit the "s" on keyboard and highlight clip with be cut in at cursor point).

Stephen van Vuuren July 4th, 2004 11:46 PM

External Control Surfaces Anyone

The mackie universal control surface is a cool $1000. Anyone tried any less (much less) expensive alternatives with the generic driver?

Peter Jefferson July 5th, 2004 03:25 AM

go get urself a Phatboy, or a kenton midi station :)
these are midi controller devices for audio, btu worl fine with V5.

I use my Yamaha RS7000 workstation :)

Peter Jefferson July 5th, 2004 03:27 AM

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(