DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   move clip to timestamp (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/98086-move-clip-timestamp.html)

Uli Mors July 3rd, 2007 02:57 AM

move clip to timestamp

Hi ,

is there a way (or a script) to move clips to their origin timestamp?

You can easily find the timestamp under "clip properties" or display (media fx) the recorded timecode - but how can I move selected (or all) clips to their timecode position?

Thanks

ULI

Seth Bloombaum July 3rd, 2007 09:30 AM

Yes, but perhaps not as easily as you like. There is a highly automated function for automatically distributing broadcast wave files on the timeline at their time stamp, but, doing so with video is a highly manual function.

First, I suggest turning on timecode display on events. Options | Preferences | Video | Show Source Frame Numbers on event thumbnails as | Timecode.

Let's say your first clip has a starting timecode stamp of 00:14:37;24.

With focus on the tracks (Alt-0), hit Ctrl-G. This will bring focus to the timecode display at the lower right of the timeline, and it will be highlighted and editable. (you can also click on it, but things go much faster with keyboard shortcuts).

Type in 14.37.24 and hit the return key. Now, the timeline cursor should be at that desired position.

Now, drag the clip to the timeline and snap it to the cursor position.

If you're doing a series of clips, it makes sense to go to prefs | General and unclick Double click on media files loads into trimmer instead of tracks. Now, you can just double click on a file in explorer or project media and it will load to the timeline at the cursor position.

Possible bug - I've had the experience in a new project with Vegas 7 where the cursor won't go to the desired position. The workaround I've used is to drag a clip out past my work area, later in the timeline, and then everything seems to work as it should.

I find this workflow to be very manageable for long clips that I typically shoot in concert/event situations, it probably gets tedious if you have lots of small clips but it will work!

PS. I'd also like to know if this is scriptable... if scripts can look at starting timecode it should be possible.

Uli Mors July 4th, 2007 01:02 AM

Thanks for the reply - yes, this method works (I found that start position of the clip can be edited under "edit details" as well).

Unfortunately , with some events (company anniversaries) I have ~100 or more clips (timecode-splitted) , so this method is too much work...

I hoped there is an automatic function for that.

IŽll have a try to find someone who programs scripts - perhaps I can make a deal with him.

// BTW: Why I am so heavily interested in that is that I like to render avi files from the timeline, that have THE SAME TIMECODE information like the original clips - with Vegas it works only by rendering from the correct Timeline position...

THanks

ULI

Edward Troxel July 4th, 2007 07:34 AM

It may be possible to do that via a script. I'll have to look into the API to be totally certain.

Seth Bloombaum July 4th, 2007 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uli Mors (Post 706791)
...// BTW: Why I am so heavily interested in that is that I like to render avi files from the timeline, that have THE SAME TIMECODE information like the original clips - with Vegas it works only by rendering from the correct Timeline position...

If that is for visibly displaying clip timecode there are other methods. In the US, we usually call this a "window dub", or, "timecode window dub." Basically, you add the "Sony Timecode" effect at the clip level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 706878)
It may be possible to do that via a script. I'll have to look into the API to be totally certain.

Edward, I'd be pretty interested in that too! Of course there are other reasons than Uli's to bring video clips to the timeline in this way - syncing video and double system sound, for one big example.

Edward Troxel July 4th, 2007 04:00 PM

See if this script does what you're wanting. I tested it under Vegas 7 but it ought to work under Vegas 6 (at least 6.0c or newer).

Seth Bloombaum September 8th, 2008 11:44 AM

Umm... what's a year between forum members?

Edward, I found this old thread on an unrelated search and just tried out the script - it works great! Thanks!!!

For anyone interested, it will sort all clips on the timeline to a timeline position corresponding to their starting timecode. If you go into clip properties and modify the "use timecode" parameter, that clip will be sorted to the new tc when the script is run.

Really appreciate it Edward -

Seth

***EDIT***
PS. Tested on V7 and V8

PPS. Keep an eye on multiple clips on multiple tracks - Frequently, one clip will not move to correct TC.

PPPS. Anyone interested in these functions on V8 should also check out Tools | Multicamera | Lay Out Tracks Using Media Timecode

Paul Kellett September 9th, 2008 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 930892)
PPPS. Anyone interested in these functions on V8 should also check out Tools | Multicamera | Lay Out Tracks Using Media Timecode

I just tried this, but "lay out tracks using media timecode" is always greyed out.

Paul.