Vegas and Intesity HDMI card? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 20th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #16
Regular Crew

In the new Vegas 8 "c" is a longer HDV Stream (HV20/30, XHA1, FX1) with Intensity HDMI output (driver 2.1) only 22-23fps! My system is Q6600 Vista 32 + XPprof. 4Gb Ram.
In Vegas 8 "b" is the HDV stream allways with 25fps very good.
---------------------------------------------------------------
answer BM Support:

Hi Wolfgang,

Unfortunately this is more than likely a limitation of the driver’s beta support for Vegas. The only other things I could think of that may cause this is processor speed (this seems unlikely since you both get much the same result on XP and Vista), or possibly a bottleneck with your storage solution.

When Vegas 8 support is finalised we would expect this problem to fixed, but sadly for the moment I can only log the problem.
If you need any further assistance, please do get in touch.

------------------------------

i go back to 8 "b".......
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:33 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Sorry to resurrect this thread, just wondering how well the Intensity is working for people with Vegas 8.0c, and the new 9.0. I believe they recently came out with new drivers for the Intensity to add compatibility with Adobe CS4, wondering if this fixed/broke any functionality in Vegas. Thanks!
Jeremy Dallek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:09 AM   #18
Trustee

i will report the update when i receive V9. So far it doesnt work with V8.0c becuz Vegas engineers would not release interface information to Blackmagic as I was told. I think it is the same for V9
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:41 PM   #19
Major Player

Yet another reason why Vegas doesn't justify the "pro" tag at all - its a hobbyists tool that many use professionally. Its unbelievable that Vegas doesn't work with Intensity card, just like it doesn't work with the Matrox MX02 Mini, just like red magic only bothers to make one of its plug-ins compatible with Vegas whereas everyone of them are compatible with Premiere or Apple FCP.

I love the vegas interface but hate its inability to interface to 3rd party hardware and plug-ins.... aaaagh

In frustration.
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:52 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Well, it's there, but it's in a really scratchy beta release. Crashed the first time I tried to use external video with it.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #21
Tourist

Vegas and Intensity HDMI card?

I've succesfully used the Intensity Pro HDMI card with all versions of Vegas Pro 8, i.e. capturing via HDMI and preview via HDMI to a HD LCD during edit even though Blackmagic Design maintains that it is only Beta drivers available for Vegas Pro 8.

ONLY INSTALL THE INTENSITY DRIVERS AFTER VEGAS HAS BEEN INSTALLED!! If for some reason you had to un/re-install Vegas Pro 8, uninstall and reinstall the Intensity Pro drivers.

I've installed both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Vegas Pro 9. The Intensity Pro drivers do not get installed in the appropriate Vegas Pro 9 directories, for the Vegas Pro 9 32-bit version do the following (these .dlls will be found in the corresponding Vegas Pro 8 directories):

Copy BMDDecklinkVideoProperties.dll to Vegas Pro 9.0 directory
Copy DeckLinkVegas.dll to Vegas Pro 9.0\Video Hardware Drivers directory

Thus far I have not had any problems with Vegas Pro 9 32-bit using the Intensity Pro card. However it appears that the 64-bit version of Vegas Pro 9 does not "recognise" the Intensity Pro drivers, as far as I am concerned, looking at the Vgeas documentation, it is rather a Vegas issue than an Intensity Pro issue as the only ather device apart from Firewire that Vegas will recognise is the AJA card or device.

It is a real pity that Sony actually launched the 64-bit version with many shortcomings, e.g. I can't open any .m2t files captured with Cineform with Vegas 64-bit version. This is discussed elsewhere on the forum. At this point in time the quote "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" is really applicable. So far tests done with footage captured directly with Vegas 64-bit and editing/rendering seems to work well.

Spotted Cat Productions

Last edited by Eddie Lambrechts; June 7th, 2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Additional info
Eddie Lambrechts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info! Looking at the intensity driver archives version 1.8.2 added Vegas support (beta). Do you know if the subsequent or latest 3.1.2 drivers break Vegas functionality? It's a shame Sony and Black Magic don't nail this down as the combo is such a great overall value. Especially now that the Intensity Pro retails at under $200.
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #23
New Boot

Is this the appropriate place?

Is this the appropriate place to ask why Sony does not support third party anything?

From what I am told, Vegas could take over the industry...except that Sony insists on holding Vegas back, by not 'telling any secrets' that could be used to make Vegas compatible with third party hardware and software.

Does anyone know what gives? Or should I start checking into Premiere/CS4?
Norman Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Picked up an Intensity Pro on ebay and so far it seems to work properly with the latest drivers. So it seems it works with Vegas, but is not officially supported. It may be a hit or miss thing depending on the OS or other factors. I'll post updates if I come across any issues. Win XP 32bit, Vegas 8.0c, Intensity Pro drivers 3.1.2
Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:22 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Willis View Post
Is this the appropriate place to ask why Sony does not support third party anything?

From what I am told, Vegas could take over the industry...except that Sony insists on holding Vegas back, by not 'telling any secrets' that could be used to make Vegas compatible with third party hardware and software.

Does anyone know what gives? Or should I start checking into Premiere/CS4?
Well, this is all fine rumour & all. Perhaps someone even knows the answers, but they'd probably be doing the strategic thinking inside SCS, probably unlikely to share their future strategies.

More speculation: Supporting 3rd party apps or hardware takes money and time, not only for initial development and support, but also lots of maintenance, lots to keep up with. I can't imagine it's an easy decision.

Should you check into Premiere? If third-party hardware/software support is a make-or-break issue for you, then you betcha'. However, Sony's dependence on exclusively tasking the processor (rather than hardware) with functionality has actually worked quite well for most users.
Old June 25th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #26
New Boot

>>Well, this is all fine rumour & all. Perhaps someone even knows the answers, but they'd probably be doing the strategic thinking inside SCS, probably unlikely to share their future strategies.

Well, sorry to whine. It is just so frustrating to love an NLE, and not be able to get the functionality one wants/needs.

I spoke with SCS about it, and they said that they would offer more third party functionality, but that it would make the program cost more, because all of that code has to be written in, and then there are royalties.

I told them I would gladly pay more for an 'Ultra' version of VPro, if it meant I could get more 3rd party functionality. That way those who are happy with the present VPro can keep on using, that; and then those of us who want more could purchase 'the next level up', so to speak. Because I would happily pay more, rather than have to switch.
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #27
Major Player

For those of you who have successfully gotten the BlackMagic Intensity Pro to work with Vegas, what codecs are you capturing with?

Thanks in advance.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:51 AM   #28
Inner Circle

So far, the Intensity Pro has been painless and fun to implement on the playback side, using Vegas Pro 8.0c. Previews to the HDTV in the next room look great. One of these days I'll stick one on the wall in front of my editing station.

The capture codecs included with the card stopped me cold. These codecs are not compressing enough for my 2-drive SATA Raid0 to sustain a 1080i/p stream. 720p - OK, SD - OK.

But I want 1080i. I hope to get it from Cineform's capture app/codec, but won't be able to start work on testing this until mid-July.
Old July 1st, 2009, 07:13 PM   #29
New Boot

Hi Seth. How fast is your processor?
Norman
Old July 1st, 2009, 07:16 PM   #30
New Boot

Hi Bill.
From
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/what-happ...mi-card-2.html
I've successfully used the Intensity Pro HDMI card with all versions of Vegas Pro 8, i.e. capturing via HDMI and preview via HDMI to a HD LCD during edit even though Blackmagic Design maintains that it is only Beta drivers available for Vegas Pro 8.

ONLY INSTALL THE INTENSITY DRIVERS AFTER VEGAS HAS BEEN INSTALLED!! If for some reason you had to un/re-install Vegas Pro 8, uninstall and reinstall the Intensity Pro drivers.

I've installed both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Vegas Pro 9. The Intensity Pro drivers do not get installed in the appropriate Vegas Pro 9 directories, for the Vegas Pro 9 32-bit version do the following (these .dlls will be found in the corresponding Vegas Pro 8 directories):

Copy BMDDecklinkVideoProperties.dll to Vegas Pro 9.0 directory
Copy DeckLinkVegas.dll to Vegas Pro 9.0\Video Hardware Drivers directory

Thus far I have not had any problems with Vegas Pro 9 32-bit using the Intensity Pro card. However it appears that the 64-bit version of Vegas Pro 9 does not "recognise" the Intensity Pro drivers, as far as I am concerned, looking at the Vgeas documentation, it is rather a Vegas issue than an Intensity Pro issue as the only ather device apart from Firewire that Vegas will recognise is the AJA card or device.

It is a real pity that Sony actually launched the 64-bit version with many shortcomings, e.g. I can't open any .m2t files captured with Cineform with Vegas 64-bit version. This is discussed elsewhere on the forum. At this point in time the quote "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" is really applicable. So far tests done with footage captured directly with Vegas 64-bit and editing/rendering seems to work well.

Spotted Cat Productions
____________________________-

I sure hope that helps.

Norman
Norman Willis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...