16:9 to 4:3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 13th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #1
New Boot

16:9 to 4:3

This is driving me nuts. I am new to Vegas (used to premiere) . I have 16:9 HD footage. I want to make a 4:3 clip . In premiere this was super easy create a 4:3 project, import 16:9 footage (zoom, pan:crop where i wanted it) I can not for the life of me figure it our in Sony all my attempts so far produce a 4:3 but widescreen (with black bars top and bottom) . there must be an easy way to do it and I am just can't find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Art Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Make sure the project properties is set to 4:3. Open Pan/Crop. Right-click the image and choose "Match Output Aspect".
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #3
New Boot

Hey Art,
There is an easy way to do it. Open your project with the "NTSC DV" template. Then put your clips on the timeline and click on the "Event Pan/Crop" button. If you don't know where that is, it is the little box like button that shows up on the clip on the time line. After you click that just right click on the image in the pan/crop window and select "Match Output Aspect". That should do it for you.

Nick
Edit: Looks like Edward already beat me to it.

Last edited by Nick Martinson; July 13th, 2007 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Looks like Edward already beat me to it.
Nick Martinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks so much. figured there had to be an easy way to do it. Ok have the Aspect Ratio working but I have black bars all around the picture now and zooming in and out seems to just zoom the picture within the black bars not actually filling up the full space. I feel stupid I turned off stretch to full turned it back on a boom everthing is perfect now! thanks
Art Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...