DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Is it possible to individually assign a layer mask to an event FX? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/98915-possible-individually-assign-layer-mask-event-fx.html)

Emre Safak July 13th, 2007 10:33 PM

Is it possible to individually assign a layer mask to an event FX?

I just learned how to use Bezier masks, but they seem to work on the whole layer, not individual events.

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 13th, 2007 11:26 PM

Bezier masks work *only* on an event. The only way to access a Bezier mask is via Pan/Crop, which cannot be applied to an entire track/layer.
Maybe I misunderstood your question?

Emre Safak July 14th, 2007 09:50 AM

Let's say I have several FX applied to a clip. How do I keyframe the mask for each FX?

Graham Bernard July 15th, 2007 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emre Safak (Post 712030)
Let's say I have several FX applied to a clip. How do I keyframe the mask for each FX?

Are you saying a MASK = a FX? Are you using the term "FX" as being a "MASK"? If this is the case then an Event can support many FXs. In which case, use the Keyframer Timeline and apply the FX parameters there.

But maybe I have misunderstood your question? Or maybe you have discovered yet another way of doing things!

I have never been able to apply a Bezier Mask to a whole Track. But I can apply a Bezier Mask to a Nested Veg project that I have imported to take UP a whole track. And there again, I AM using the Bezier Mask on the Nested Veg - which in this case is treated AS an Event.

Grazie

Emre Safak July 15th, 2007 08:35 AM

I wonder if I am using the wrong terms! What I want to do is to have FX1 apply to one portion of the screen, and FX2 apply to another portion of the screen, then I want to animate these portions with key frames. Both FX are associated with one clip.

I use mask to mean "portion of the screen".

Graham Bernard July 15th, 2007 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emre Safak (Post 712315)
I wonder if I am using the wrong terms! What I want to do is to have FX1 apply to one portion of the screen, and FX2 apply to another portion of the screen, then I want to animate these portions with key frames. Both FX are associated with one clip.

I use mask to mean "portion of the screen".

Ah! Now I DO understand what you are wishing to achieve. No, I don't know of a way to do that - within ONE Event.

So:

1] - Track1 Event1 FX1 with Mask1

2] - Track2 Event1 FX2 with Mask2

This ways you've got complete control over the detail of the piece.

This is the way I would do it!

Grazie

Mike Kujbida July 15th, 2007 10:30 AM

Assuming you're talking about using bezier FX only, I agree with Grazie.
I did this last year on a chromakey that (due to sloppy lighting) required up to 3 masks to get rid of the crap portions of the backdrop :-(