Sony Vegas -> Uncompressed -> On2 Flix Pro -- Help!?!/ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 14th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony Vegas -> Uncompressed -> On2 Flix Pro -- Help!?!/

I'm having difficulties exporting my timeline in a format that is non-compressed yet On2 Flix Pro software can easily read. I need to create high quality .flv files to insert into my website using this "new" On2 VP6 codec.

My workflow is to export the Vegas timeline to an .avi file using the Sony YUV HDV 1080i format which, as I understand it, is a true uncompressed output file.

I then go to fire up the $250 On2 Flix Pro software and browse to point to the source file and everything seems okay but I see no video in their preview window and when I encode to Flash, there is nothing but a blank screen. I'm also asking flash to downcovert the video to 384 X 216 and maintain the source video's FPS.

I'm also trying some various Quicktime .mov uncompressed formats and though I'm getting video output, the quality is lackluster.

I'm keeping the resolution to 384 x 216 which is exactly 1/5th of my source (1920X1080). Framerate is 29.97fps, datarate is 384kb/sec. Nothing is looking even close to the stuff I see around the web in terms of quality and I know my input quality is good.

Any suggestions on another output format I can choose from within Vegas that will not compress the video?

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #2
Trustee

Are you sure Flix is compatible with the Sony YUY format? If not, what codecs can it read? Surely there must be a list.

For increased quality I would halve the frame rate and increase the resolution and bit rate.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #3
Major Player

I have read ALL through the On2 website and there is no listing of compatable input codec's. They mention that they prefer Uncompressed video input.

Decreasing the video size is not realistic for the project I'm doing because and frankly, I shouldn't have to. I see examples of video's posted all over the place that are my size and larger that look SIGNIFICANTLY better. So something else is a miss.

Frankly, I can't get Vegas to export a movie that looks as good as my HDV source material period.
Old July 14th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Trustee

I said increase, not decrease! I forgot to mention that you should de-interlace your videos first too. That makes a big difference.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #5

I was under the impression that the Sony YUV codec was proprietary and could only be read within Vegas, but, I might be wrong.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #6
Major Player

Hello Emre,

When I'm exporting, I typically choose to export as progressive scan (non-interlaced). Do I still need to deinterlace the footage again?
Old July 14th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #7
Major Player

Frankly, I don't care which CODEC I use to export the video off the Vegas Timeline. I just need to figure out how to get the best quality from this Flix Pro 8.5 software. I've read their manual, their online help, the FAQ, etc.

These are the guys who invented the Codec and the quality is bad... I don't get it...

Jon
Old July 14th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #8
Trustee

If you exported as de-interlaced that should be enough.

Relax. We are going to get to the bottom of your issue.

My suggestion is to feed Flix a high bit-rate MPEG-2 video.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...