Project box camera mounting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 7th, 2021, 01:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Project box camera mounting?

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but since it is specifically related to my event video setup, here it goes-

I am building my own tally-light/intercom boxes for my camera operators for live events. I have this all working on a breadboard, but I would like to enclose it all in some kind of project box enclosure that I could somehow mount to my cameras.

Does anyone have any experience doing anything like this? What solution did you come up with for camera mounting?

Does anyone have any ideas for how to handle this camera mounting problem?
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2021, 02:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Project box camera mounting?

Hi Adam...................

You're going to have to cough up a bit more info to get any traction on this query.

Just what internals do these boxes need to hold, what surface mounted connectors, displays and controls are envisaged, what connections to both the camera/ operator/ anything else are required and lastly, what kind of cameras are you talking about.

Detailed shots of your "breadboard" wouldn't exactly be wasted either.

Regards,

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2021, 02:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Hi Adam...................

You're going to have to cough up a bit more info to get any traction on this query.

Just what internals do these boxes need to hold, what surface mounted connectors, displays and controls are envisaged, what connections to both the camera/ operator/ anything else are required and lastly, what kind of cameras are you talking about.

Detailed shots of your "breadboard" wouldn't exactly be wasted either.

Regards,

CS
Internals are an Arduino Uno with Blackmagic SDI shield, a small audio board that measures 2 by 4 inches, and a USB battery pack. External connections are two BNC style SDI connectors to go to the switcher, a third BNC SDI connector to connect to the camera, two one-quarter inch audio connectors, one for headphones and one for a microphone, and a barrel style 5-volt power connector.

Additionally, there will be a camera number selector rotary switch, a push-to-talk button, headphone volume potentiometer, and LED tally indicators.

I intended for this all to fit in a project box that measures approximately 4 by 8 by 2 inches. Mounting under the camera, between the camera and tripod, I think would be ideal, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that, or finding the hardware to accomplish that.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2021, 08:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

OoooKaaay.................

(BTW, your website id sends my browser directly into "shan't" mode. Not dyslexic are you?)

Let's skip the box internals and gubbins layout, and concentrate on proposed box and placement thereof.

BETWEEN camera and tripod is tricky, as it then becomes part of the sticks/ head/ QR Plate/ camera sequence which in most rigs is iffy enough already without trying to shoehorn a 2 inch thick (probably) flexible metal sandwich in there too.

Knowing nothing about your business, tell me everything you can about your tripod(s), head(s) and details of QR plate fixings available on your camera(s), think Make, model and screw sizes/numbers.

Also, can you confirm that the only electrical connection between "The Box" and the camera is one (1) SDI cable and associated plug.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques