Best strategy for de-telecining difficult 24PF footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old March 14th, 2023, 03:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best strategy for de-telecining difficult 24PF footage

So, I'm working on a project and some of it was shot 10 years ago on a Canon XA-10 with the dreaded 24PF format.

I'm working on a film in FCPX that's 24fps. I took the footage and did Reverse Telecine in Compressor. This solved the issue for most of the footage, but some of it had people walking past the camera, and there is still some slight interlacing after the Reverse Telecine in Compressor.

Any suggestions for what to try? I still have a backup of the original card I shot this on. Is there any way to somehow try to reverse it from the card rather than once it's been exported as 30i.

I know FCPX has a way to stop the conversion in importing, but that only works if it's from the camera. That option is greyed out if I try to import again.
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2023, 06:03 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Best strategy for de-telecining difficult 24PF footage

Have you one or two short problem clips straight off the card you could upload a copy of to Dropbox or similar?

Over the years doing history docos I've accumulated a bunch of tools for bringing yesteryear footage back from almost every conceivable aspect ratio, framerate and codec one could run into. Happy to try and see what works in bringing your clips back to the modern post production world. At least we might work out the best way to approach the problem. I could then backload the results for you to check out.

So 24 segmented frames to what? 23.98, 24 exact? What are you after as your preferred editing codec format and frame rate?

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders