How do you do this effect without pixelation? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old August 28th, 2019, 10:24 PM   #1
also known as Ryan Wray

How do you do this effect without pixelation?

I saw this video on how they did the post digital zooms in the movie 300, at 7:38 into the video:

I actually thought they were post digital, since they have a different look to them compared to in camera, but how do they zoom into the image in post, without the image pixelating? There is one filmmaker who's feature film I helped out on, and when I saw the finished edit later, I saw that he decided to do a post zoom, but you can see pixelation near the end of the zoom of course.

How did they avoid that that in 300 when zooming from one shot to another, to another?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2019, 03:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: How do you do this effect without pixelation?

With the 3 different lens angles in sync, I wonder if the morph feature used in premiere to interpolate moves between jump edits in an interview would do this? That's a very useful feature to cope with the usual head and arms shifts when you have a single camera and need to cut bits out of a talking head.

However, if you shoot in 4K, and zoom to 1080 size, it's pretty artefact free, so if that covered the wide to medium change, and then you did it again to get into the narrow shot, that would seem to be a way forward? Without three identical cameras, though, I can't try it to see.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2019, 08:51 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: How do you do this effect without pixelation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
How did they avoid that that in 300 when zooming from one shot to another, to another?
It's nearly all digital post comps where they start of with a very large comp and can zoom in with no loss. That was all done by Zareh Nalbandian's team at Animallogic here in Sydney, Vancouver or LA. They issued a video showing how the CG layers were composited.

Chris Young
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects