Best 3-ccd gy-hm camera for HDMI capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old September 10th, 2019, 09:22 AM   #1
Major Player

Best 3-ccd gy-hm camera for HDMI capture

Hi. I have a few HDMI capture devices. I'd like to work with a camera where I will essentially capture 10-bit 422.

What would be recommended?
Thanks
Old September 10th, 2019, 10:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Best 3-ccd gy-hm camera for HDMI capture

The Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 01:43 PM   #3
Major Player

I mean which 3-ccd camera is good value today for HD acquisition.
Old September 12th, 2019, 02:10 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Well - there are simply loads of cameras that meet that spec, so it really boils down to the kind of cameras you want? DSLR, large sensor, ⅔", ⅓" size format, as in shoulder/tripod with side viewfinders etc.

What kind of budget do you have?

Do you really need/want 3 CCD, which of course really means prism splitter and ⅔" in the main.

Most of the cameras in this section now have single sensors, 3xCCD being a tricky one. There are a few small sensor cheap handicaps though.

I guess we need you to narrow the field a bit and tell us what you want to do with it, which will help.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 01:17 AM   #5
Major Player

I have wonder Panasonic hdc-sd9 and JVC hd6. These have sub hd 1/6in and 1/5in sensors.
To start with, what's the cheapest option for a full hd cc'd sensor?
Old September 13th, 2019, 05:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Er - I have an SD9, that has been, without any doubt, the most useful camcorder I have ever had since my first in 1976.

It's not the best image, and it's not really the best at anything - but it is quick, easy and damn reliable. I have it always in my big camera bag. I often attach it to my bigger cameras, with a screw on wide angle lens and just let it run. It's saved the day loads. It's small enough to be attached with suction mounts and magic arms and it is a really solid camera. It isn't a 3CCD camera though? Did you really mean you wanted 3CCDs with the optics block, or just a decent camera. Keep in mind you could be just misusing technical stuff, because of course nobody captures anything in HDMI - this is a system to connect a sending device to a receiving device - so playback machine, camera, computer connecting to a screen, a huge or tiny display, or other output device. Your SD9 suggestion records in AVCHD - which is very different to HDMI.

I think you better start by telling us what you want to do with it, because while the SD9 is a wonder for me for everyday stuff, I'd never use it as my prime camera. Image quality, the rotten power zoom, and the somewhat random on occasions autofocus would be a negative. They were cheap and a good compromise camera, but They can play up in theatrical situations (This I do a lot). They suddenly do a nasty autofocus, especially with dark blue colours on a dark stage. The manual focus is totally rubbish) and while I do use them for stage stuff, on a wide shot, locked off - I would never use one for following a performer. Not the right tool for that one.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2019, 11:19 AM   #7
Major Player

Panasonic hdc-sd9 outputs uncompressed xv.ycc 4:2:2 video over HDMI.
Recording this via a HDMI recorder gives much better quality. It has a CCD sensor without the prism.
The hd100 series have native 720p CCD sensor.
I know of the f35 and hpx3000 that have native 1080p CCD sensor.
Is there another option of a smaller camera with 720p or 1080p sensor with uncompressed HDMI output?
Using twixtor one can achieve excellent slow motion but you cannot fix the CMOS rolling shutter issues.
I want to use a hd global shutter camera with higher shutter speed and then do slo motion in post.
Old September 15th, 2019, 08:40 AM   #8
Inner Circle

It does, but surely you will be editing so you will take the card out and stick it in the computer? What's your preoccupation with HDMI?

Recording via HDMI can never improve the quality of what you shot. The BEST quality from your SD9 is via the AVCHD files - because transcoding from one format to another always makes the picture suffer. The camera records to AVCHD files, to go down the HDMI cable requires more processing, then in the recorder it will have to be converted again. Keeping in mind the small sensor size, this is not a good workflow at
all.

The picture from the HD100 series camera is better than the SD9 when viewed objectively. The SD9 has more noise in the shadows, a very simplified lens system and the two things can't be directly compared.

If you want good slow motion, you need to shoot more frames per second - which is usually the issue with cameras nowadays. A 1920x1080 sensor, or even a 4K one doesn't mean very much without the other stuff. A GoPro can shoot 4K, but probably the lens on the 100 series JVC can reveal so much more.

If slow mo is critical then you need 50/60 fps capability at the very least. Premier does a reasonable slow mo of 25/30 material if you don't push too far.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems