A7rII for interior interviews. First time using it and 24 hours to study it at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old March 14th, 2021, 06:14 AM   #1
Trustee

A7rII for interior interviews. First time using it and 24 hours to study it

Hallo this morning i got a Sony A7r2 from my friend who is a photographer to replace my Nikon D7100 tomorrow. I'm a Nikon guy stepping for the first time on th Sony Alpha World. I'm tryng to achieve the most information as possible in these hours from the youtube videos. As i'm tryng to understand the different setting i wanted to ask your help for suggestions about an interior interviews that i'll shoot tomorrow at 6pm with 2 Led lights and softbox. I just dicovered the S log 2 Gamma settings on many profiles out there. My question Is if this Log brings the ISO at 2000 shouldn't i go with a different setting to avoid Noise in the shot?
I'll film on a tripod and i'll set manual focus wiht the high peaking (red lines). Is there a way to get accurate focus like digital zooming to see if the eyes of the talent are exactly in focus?
If you have more advices to give me please write for me!
Thank you for your helping hands
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2021, 09:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: A7rII for interior interviews. First time using it and 24 hours to study it

You sound like you're getting way too deep. I would simplify as much as possible. I would not use log for an interview, shoot in normal mode. Next learn, understand and practice the basics. Do you know how to set white balance, exposure, and focus? Do you know how to monitor these? Do you know how long the battery lasts and the recording time limits? Most importantly do you know how the camera handles audio?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2021, 02:24 PM   #3
Trustee

Hallo Pete, yes i had practice today understanding the Exposure in manual settings. I found out even the zoom magnification for manual focusing and set the focus peaking with the red lines. So you would go with neutral profile?
Thank you for taking time to help me
Old March 14th, 2021, 08:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
Hallo Pete, yes i had practice today understanding the Exposure in manual settings. I found out even the zoom magnification for manual focusing and set the focus peaking with the red lines. So you would go with neutral profile?
Thank you for taking time to help me
You're welcome hope all goes well. I once borrowed mirrorless for a job and went through the same thing. I've found if its properly exposed and in focus you're 90% home free. Simple tasks with these cameras can be trick compared to a camcorder that clearly labeled buttons for the primary functions.
Old March 23rd, 2021, 04:39 PM   #5
Trustee

Hola Pete,
thank you for your advices. I went with No Picture Profile options so i could easily match with my other Bcam. My next step is try to learn how to set the zebras for the correct exposure in this kind of interview. Any good advices to expose correctly the talking head of the talent?
Thank you for taking time to help me out
Old March 23rd, 2021, 07:51 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The traditional way is to set zebras to 70% which is Caucasian skin. I like to set zebras to 80 when I start to see them appear on the face I know its over exposed. Another traditional method is hold up a chart with with the basic tones or a gray card. If its under controlled lighting once the exposure is properly set, you can leave it.
Old April 4th, 2021, 04:44 PM   #7
Trustee

Happy Easter!
I have another question for. You:
What's your suggestion about the kind Of File Format should I record in HD 1920x1080 25p?
I'll have to match with my Nikon D7100 mov Files.
My PC handles well both Avchd and mpg4. What would. You suggest to me?
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR