Soft Footage from 70D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 9th, 2023, 04:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Soft Footage from 70D

I recently upgraded from an original 7D to a 70D and I was expecting an improvement in the video quality, sadly it seems no better.

Im filming indoors, mainly machinery. I have plenty of light so Im able to keep the ISO at 640 or lower and Im using either a Canon EFS 24mm or Nifty Fifty MK1 both of which seem to be quite sharp lenses.

Im generally disappointed in the sharpness of the image. I film in ALL-i 24fps, picture profile is STD with the sharpness turned down to zero. Applying sharpness in FCPX to values around 2.5-7.5, any more and it started to look artificial but still not as sharp as I would like compared to tier cameras Ive seen.

Is there any truth in what some people say about Canon DSLRs being soft?
Alan Maughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2023, 04:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Soft Footage from 70D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Maughan View Post
I recently upgraded from an original 7D to a 70D and I was expecting an improvement in the video quality, sadly it seems no better.

Im filming indoors, mainly machinery. I have plenty of light so Im able to keep the ISO at 640 or lower and Im using either a Canon EFS 24mm or Nifty Fifty MK1 both of which seem to be quite sharp lenses.

Im generally disappointed in the sharpness of the image. I film in ALL-i 24fps, picture profile is STD with the sharpness turned down to zero. Applying sharpness in FCPX to values around 2.5-7.5, any more and it started to look artificial but still not as sharp as I would like compared to tier cameras Ive seen.

Is there any truth in what some people say about Canon DSLRs being soft?
I bought this camera years ago. The AF tracking and flipout touch screen were decades ahead. Easy and intuitive to use but unfortunately I experienced the same softness. I thought I might have a bad lens, only to find out many years later Canon used line skipping to reduce the resolution which degrades and softens the image.

Note that many modern cameras can still employ this sort of line skipping in HD. Even though I deliver almost everything still in HD, I always film in 4k on my Sony A7 IV because the HD looks so soft. Camera manufactures don't usually disclose they line skip.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2023, 08:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Soft Footage from 70D

Thanks for the reply, thats disappointing to hear but at least it lets me know where Im at and that it isnt me.

Ive just borrowed a 90D this morning and recording in 4K with the same lens shows more detail for sure but the difference isnt exactly night/day.

Im starting to think a camcorder might give me better results.
Alan Maughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD