Davinci Resolve - Can't Click & Drag Titles at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 9th, 2023, 06:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Davinci Resolve - Can't Click & Drag Titles

I'm switching software over to DR 18.X and was doing fine until this last project where I can't click and drag a text title over to the timeline.

I've restarted the program and the computer to no avail. Of course, every tutorial on youtube says just click the title in the Effects section from within the Edit tab and drag it over like I've done before, but not this time.

I bet it's something super simple that I'm not considering. The project is otherwise finished. I've got two cameras with their audio and video but did not set it up as a multi cam clip.

Another item of note, both cams are 4K, one cam has both 60 fps and 24fps on the same track.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mark Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2023, 05:20 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Davinci Resolve - Can't Click & Drag Titles

Make sure your "Position Lock" is OFF, unchecked, not highlighted, and you should be good to go. This can also screw up copying and pasting of title clips as they jump to the head of the track. A quick fix... hopefully :)

Had a second thought. I've seen something similar where you couldn't drag a clip to the timeline, and I'm sure it's an intermittent bug, so just check this out as well if the above doesn't work. A workaround. Drag a new AUDIO clip to the end of the timeline, and now try adding your titles to your title track. This also works for video clips when you can't drag them to the timeline. Adding a piece of audio to the timeline end seems to correct something, and after that all seems to work okay. Then just delete your audio "fixer" clip. Go figure?

Chris Young
Attached Thumbnails
Davinci Resolve - Can't Click & Drag Titles-resolve-position-lock.jpg  

Last edited by Christopher Young; July 10th, 2023 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Added to
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2023, 05:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you for responding Christopher. The lock was off.

I can sample the different title options, but when I left click to drag one over, the software doesn't respond.

The title isn't grabbed, so to speak. The same thing is happening with the Video Transitions.

Running 18.1.4 and computer is plenty strong.

EDIT: Just discovered another clue: I created a new project and created a timeline from a single clip. OK, fine, but I can't drag down other clips from the media pool. Clicking and dragging just is not working right. No other software is acting similarly.

Last edited by Mark Davidson; July 10th, 2023 at 09:36 AM.
Old July 10th, 2023, 11:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

This is gonna be a hardware issue. I noticed I can move open windows around, but I can't click and drag any icons on my desktop. I swapped my mouse with another one in the same port. That didn't help, so I switched ports and that didn't help either.

If I weren't halfway through a long youtube video upload, I'd try to fix it. I've never experienced this problem.

Funny how this problem surfaced after my wife used this computer - she rarely does. I'm blaming her, lol.
Old July 10th, 2023, 07:06 PM   #5
Trustee

That is an odd one? I've seen something similar a while back. If you can’t drag and drop files or folders on the desktop area or in File Explorer, you may have to reset the Drag and Drop Gesture. Whether this could affect Resolve I don't know? To do the reset, left-click and hold the file or folder you want to drag, then press Esc on the keyboard. See if that works?

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC