Panasonic HC-X1 Audio Channel Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old January 30th, 2024, 07:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Panasonic HC-X1 Audio Channel Question

Audio question: I'm using the HC-X1 in a studio with two condenser mics into the XLR jacks. I have the mic settings with one mic into Channel 1 and the other into Channel 2. When I import the clip into Premier Pro, I get only one audio channel that contains both Channel 1 and Channel 2. I'd like to know what settings to use so that the clip has Channel 1 on Audio track 1 and Channel 2 on Audio track 2. Is that possible? Or is there a way to split the Audio 1 track into two separate tracks, each containing one of the recorded Channels? Thanks for any help!
Len Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2024, 09:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Panasonic HC-X1 Audio Channel Question

I haven't used Premiere in a long time but it assumes it's a stereo track and groups them together by default. You'll need to specify they're mono and it should split them into two separate mono channels that can be adjusted independently.

Here's Curtis showing how to do it if they were recorded separately in an audio recorded but the method would probably be applicable to the video file.

Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2024, 11:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Pete, that's a great hack, but I don't understand why Channel 1 and 2 get combined into one audio track. The HC-X1 allows for 2 tracks, why are they combined into one in the resulting clip?
Len Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2024, 11:41 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
Thanks Pete, that's a great hack, but I don't understand why Channel 1 and 2 get combined into one audio track. The HC-X1 allows for 2 tracks, why are they combined into one in the resulting clip?
The two tracks aren't mixed together, if they were you wouldn't be able to split them. Channel 1 goes to the left speaker, Channel 2 to the right. Those two channels are linked together so if you apply any changes they effect both channels. The software assumes you intended as stereo because that's the most common purpose of two channels. If you intend to use them differently you need to tell the software since it can't read your mind.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2024, 05:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Pete for that explanation, much appreciated.
Len Rosenberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders