20x zoom lens -- various topics - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 8th, 2004, 06:18 AM   #16
New Boot

Barry & Pete,
Many thanks to both of you for the reply. I presume the GL2 is the US version of our XM2? Its also interesting to read that the 3x zoom loses autofocus at times, i'll watch for that! Thanks for the comment on the zoom speed Pete, sounds like its ideal for my railway filming!

What do you think to the mic on the XL2? On the XM2 the mic is fantasic - good allround sound, mine is fitted with a Rycote wind mic and there's no wind noise on it at all, even in a gale! Is the XL2 the same or would an extenal mic be a better option?

I'll go and find and have a read of your XL2 first impessions post Barry. I've since been looking around the web at the 3x zoom lens and most of the advertising for it states 16 speed zoom. The interesting thing seems to be that it cost in UK pounds is almost identical to the cost in US dollers! @ the 600 mark. May seriously think about buying one in the US and importing it!
Richard Tuplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 06:21 AM   #17
New Boot

Pete,
Sorry mean't to say, I've looked at the info on this Sony HDV cam. Can't say I'm immediately impressed with it - although I reserve comment until I've seen one!

The other reason for going for the XL2 is that I prefer shoulder mounted camera's, as when we're in tight situations or safety reasons preclude the use of a tripod, I do think the shoulder mounted models give a steadier picture!

Rich
Old September 8th, 2004, 06:35 AM   #18
Wrangler

I did see an accessory type shoulder pad on Sony's website while scrolling through the accessories. The pad reminded me more of the original shoulder rest that came with the XL1 and 1s. Still, it looks like an interesting camera. But, my XL2 arrives this Friday and I get to retain backward compatibilty with my XL-1 stuff. A very big plus for my personal needs.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:42 AM   #19
New Boot

Hi Greg,
Yes, that was one of my reasons for wanting to stick with Canon, that all the batteries etc.. would still work on the new camera, reducing the overhall upgrade costs!
Old September 14th, 2004, 07:58 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Push AF on the XL2 20X Lens?

I noticed that this button is no longer on the 20X lens. Is it located somewhere else?

I've gotten so use to it on my XL1. I always shoot in manual focus and tap the "Push AF" to nudge the focus which works pretty well for me.

Now I'll have to use the lens focus barrel.

Thanks
Norman Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:00 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Actually, there is a Push AF on the new 20x lens. Except it's a momentary slide switch instead of a button. There's a photo of it on this page, fifth image down.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #22
Major Player

20x lens comparisons

I was curious how people are liking or disliking the new 20x lens on the XL2.

Is the 20x longer or wider than the 16x?

Is the 20x as wide as the 3x wide lense?

How about other characterisitics such as sharpness, contrast and such?

Many thanks in advance.
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 07:24 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I have never used the 16X or 3X, but I can tell you this is a very high quality lens. It has received Canons L designation, which means it is a well made and designed lens.

The lens is very heavy and has a great feel....also very sharp.
Old September 15th, 2004, 08:20 PM   #24
Trustee

Jim

the lens is longer than the 16x...but not any wider...ditto for the 3x.

It is a beautiful lens...I don't know how it really compares with the 16x...in terms of sharpness, contrast..but the OIS seems decidedly more aggressive, and to my eye...better. the autofocusing is much more effective, I have yet to see it hunt in the way the 16x could.

The real difference here is the chip, I think...I never saw any real difference in sharpness between my 16x IS II and my 16x manual, and the 16x manual seems every bit as sharp as the 20x...and both look absolutely beautiful on the xl2.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

See a complete comparison of fields of view, etc. here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article04.php

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 11:04 PM   #26
Major Player

Barry, so you have a 16x manual servo and the 20x AF? Did you do some objective comparisons between the 2? Like resolution chart comparison? I'm very interested to know the real difference between them as far as resolution and sharpness are concerned.
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 07:25 AM   #27
Major Player

Chris, thanks for the link. Very helpful, I must have missed it when I was previously browsing your site.

Is it possible to shot handheld, even with the OIS, zoomed in all the way on the 20x? Or is it truly for tripod applications?
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #28
Major Player

I believe Barry got some good footage zoomed in all the way while hand-holding the XL2.

Regarding Resolution: I'm curious to see if there is a difference between the 3x wide and 20x.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 11:59 AM   #29
Trustee

David...nothing scientific..The san Diego footage (bikes and convention center) I posted last week was shot with both lenses... I can't really tell you which is which without going back to the original tapes...which says something...Test charts with DV footage don't tell you any thing as far as the lens goes. The format is the limiting factor on every test I've run. I'll try to do some more comparisons soon, or maybe post some stills from San Diego...I'm buried here so It may be a few days.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #30
Major Player

Thanks Barry, but I want them now! :D

Just kidding of course. I appreciate your help.
David Lach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders