24p questions - Page 43 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 28th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #631
Regular Crew

The reason the crew of 28 days later used PAL instead of NTSC was because the latest XL series camera out at the time was the XL1s which was just coming out. This camera only shot 4X3 footage and thus had to have a 16X9 extraction. PAL’s resolution is 720X576 and NTSC is 720X480. The pixels are stretched/compressed to make a 4X3 image. PAL is stretched 1.06 times wider and NTSC is 0.9, but they still contain only 720 pixels wide.

This is where the term “non-square pixel” comes from.

If you extract the middle 16X9 (1.77:1) area of PAL it’s a higher resolution then NTSC. I belive its 433 scan lines in PAL to 366 scan lines in NTSC (correct me if I’m wrong).

By playing the 25p footage back at 24p it was close enough to pull off the effect of actually shooting in 24p, but you get extra resolution. It’s only 96% slower and from scene to scene it wouldn’t change the pacing of the movie. There were loads of other limitations the production dealt with, being that’s shooting movies with DV was a new thing, but most were minor like color compression, replacing blown out skies later in post, and removing noise when they shot at night time.

Most of the action was shoot with a higher shutter, most likely over 1/250 of a second (just a guess but probably around 1/500 or so, again just a guess). Most of the problems they faced were eliminated when HDCAM SR cameras, like the Sony F950, hit the market.

Have fun
Alan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 12:37 PM   #632
Tourist

60i, 30P or 24P

Hello,

I am new to this forum and I have a question.
I did receive a Canon XL2 For a Christmas Gift.
My Question is, "What do I set my camera on when I am taping?
60i, 30P or 24P?
I mostly video tape weddings and I would like to get the best possible picture possible. The guide that came with the camera only talk about this area in general. I would appreciate any suggestions, setups, just about anything to give me the look I am looking for. Thanks in advance and wishing you all a very nice New Year.

Sincerly
Michael
Michael Bearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 12:59 PM   #633
Trustee

If you search for those terms, you'll come up with bunches of threads on the subject and the strengths and caveats of each.
Old January 1st, 2008, 05:03 PM   #634
Regular Crew

Definetly do some research. But also experiement with the camera, since you have it now at your fingertips. Congrats on your new wonderful gift :)

You should try all your options, 24pn, 24pa, 30p, 60I.

My favorite is 24pn & even 30p. Although I don't think it can be considered a true film look, but I've gotten many compliments by others how the shots look like film to them. But of course, it's all about lighting & exposure. And you can play with different presets to tweek to what looks good to you.

I love also the anamorphic 16:9 setting.

And the camera leaves options open for you, like if you have a second camera of some kind that only shoots in 60I to get other shots at a wedding shoot, at least you can shoot 60I with the XL2 to go with 60I for the entire shoot.

BTW, I think 60I looks great with the XL2 as well.

Joe
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:42 AM   #635
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Andolina View Post

I love also the anamorphic 16:9 setting.
Sorry to go a bit off topic here but this option, where can i find it, or are you talking about the standard 16:9 on the XL2?
Manu De Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 06:24 AM   #636
Obstreperous Rex

It's not an option, there's only one 16:9 setting. Joseph refers to it as anamorphic because of the way it's recorded to tape.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:02 AM   #637
Major Player

Start by watching the XL2 Features Tour. I believe once you have watched it, you can save it to your computer as a QuickTime movie.

http://dvcreators.net/media/demos/xl...aturetour.html

Then, you might consider The Ultimate Guide to the Canon XL2, here

http://www.filmwareproducts.com/Ulti...de/UG-XL2.html
Jack Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders