Need repair suggestions for XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 5th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need repair suggestions for XL2

One of my two XL2 cameras won't respond to any button press, particularly the transport buttons on the handle.

When it's connected to the computer via Firewire, I can control the tape transport and capture using the controls on the PC, but the physical buttons don't respond. I've tried power cycling the camera and even removing the button battery for a few minutes hoping it would reset the camera. No luck.

Even moving the switches (like the size ratio or frame rate) doesn't change anything.

I bought this used about a year ago from my local camera shop, so I think it has been regularly serviced (it was their rental unit).

Anyway, is it best to deal with Canon for repair, or is there an independent shop someone would recommend? I'm in the Minneapolis area, if someone knows of a local shop.

And of course, I have a shoot coming up, so I'm in a bit of a time crunch. (Why couldn't this have happened over the summer when I didn't need it?)

TIA.

-Dave-
David Trayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Need repair suggestions for XL2

At first blush it sounds a bit like an internal cable has become disconencted.

Did the shop from whihc you bought it provide you with any warranty? (Rental units do tend to get a bit beat-up.)

Canon service on the XL series is usually very fast, and they would know the camcorder best.

Give them a call.
Old June 5th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This problem is not common to this camcorder, however there are a few things that can cause it. Has the camcorder been subject to any moisture or has it been dropped? There are other things that come to mind too but those are the most obvious reasons for this problem.
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, but I got it fixed well over a year ago and sold it soon after.
David Trayers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders