DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   360 Panoramic / Spherical + AR & VR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/360-panoramic-spherical-ar-vr/)
-   -   360 camera + Oculus GO? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/360-panoramic-spherical-ar-vr/536520-360-camera-oculus-go.html)

Markus Nord January 10th, 2019 07:14 AM

360 camera + Oculus GO?

Hello fella filmmakers!

I'm planning for a 360 film production that I'll show in my exhibition. I'm pretty new at this part of the production area and would like some inputs regarding this.

After I produced the 360 film, my idea was to use Oculus Go, would that work? or is that one only for TV? do I need Oculus Rift (or any other VR google that would work better?)

/Markus

Seth Bloombaum January 10th, 2019 11:46 AM

Re: 360 camera + Oculus GO?

I think the Go is pretty revolutionary! Of course in 12 months or less, there will be a new head mounted display that's even better...

The Go is the first to offer a non-hard-wired VR360 viewer that doesn't depend on a cell phone. There will be more such, but I think this is a *very* important milestone, and it's available now.

I'm a couple weeks away from finish on my first 360 doc for viewing on the Go, and there's been lots of learning, and, a fair amount of unlearning. The differences between shooting and editing conventional video and immersive video have been substantial in my experience.

The Go will work for your application. You can pre-load it with your content, or, there is also a local wireless media server method I've not yet explored.

Battery life is about 2-3 hours, and it takes about 3 hours to charge. : \

Some exhibitors are having viewers put an external battery in their pocket. Though Oculus says not to do this, I've tested it and it works. The important point is that the power supply must be on the person, not wired to somewhere else. Depending on your content and viewing environment, you might also need headphones.

The Go has 3 degrees of freedom (3DOF), unlike the Rift, HTC Vive, and Playstation VR, which have 6 degrees. The difference is important - 3-deg means VR film content, 6-deg means VR film or movement through generated 3D media like video games. But all those other systems require wiring to a host computer/box.

3DOF = tilt, pan, roll
6DOF = Tilt, pan, roll, forward/back, left/right, up/down

If it's not clear from the above, I'm a huge fan of the Go. I think it's a clear look at a future of VR film, and video walkman style viewing. It has a browser that works with Youtube 360 content. It has a Netflix app (and others), that give you a simulated 100 inch view of traditional content. It's compatible with content created for Samsung GearVR, and, lots more.

At $200-250 USD here in the states, it's a good price point and value.

Markus Nord January 11th, 2019 02:00 AM

Re: 360 camera + Oculus GO?

Thanks Seth,

I did some more research and it looks like it will work, like you wrote.

cheers