DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   Stereoscopic 3D editing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/109177-stereoscopic-3d-editing.html)

Benjamin Smith November 30th, 2007 07:31 AM

Stereoscopic 3D editing

Hey folks

Does anyone know if any editing apps will support stereoscopic 3D editing? E.g. they let you load 2 video streams and attach them together so you can do one edit?

/ben

Mike McCarthy November 30th, 2007 12:55 PM

I have used Premiere and AE to create a short 3D movie. Not the best, but it works. The 3D Glasses filter gives you Anaglyph for 3D viewing on a regular monitor. You could burn that into your footage ahead of time, but for highest quality, you would want to reconform independent left and right eyes. CS3 is not "designed" to do it easily, but it definitely can be done. I just edited left and right in parrallel, but I had an exact storyboard, and effects in every shot.

Giroud Francois November 30th, 2007 01:20 PM

if you stick to simple cut/fade , any editing program should fit.
you need some tools , like virtualdub or 3D stereomovie maker to convert the movie in a good format for editing, then back for viewing

http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stvmkr/index.html
basically you just need to creat a movie with both left/right picture side to side ot top/down and edit with a project setting supporting this arrangement.
working with uncompressed video will help.

if you go to complex transition like curtain, barndoor effect it is more difficult.

Mike McCarthy November 30th, 2007 02:16 PM

Rendering the footage together side by side will not usually be the most efficent way to work on high resolution projects. The cutting and sequencing can be done as usual on one "eye" and then thhe other eyes gets conformed to that. Then you have to deal with any alignment and add titles and effects. The only time I rendered sidebyside dual screen versions was for final display. I used Qtime in fullscreen on a dual monitor span, where each side was connected to a polarized projector for final output.

Benjamin Smith December 5th, 2007 03:49 AM

Thanks for the replies folks. Not quite what I was looking for.

We currently use Premeire to make 3D movies, and do this by editing the LEFT eye files and then doing a text file replace on the premiere edit files to get the RIGHT eye edit.

But it's a fiddle. If there an editing app that had a dedicated support for 3D built right in, we'd switch in a heartbeat!

/ben

Ed Smith December 5th, 2007 07:49 AM

Quantels latest IQ products offer fully uncompressed HD 3D stereoscopic editing. However you will be looking at a hefty price tag.

http://www.quantel.com/site/en.nsf/H...W?OpenDocument

PS moved you into the 3D forum

Mike McCarthy December 5th, 2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Smith (Post 787540)
Thanks for the replies folks. Not quite what I was looking for.

We currently use Premeire to make 3D movies, and do this by editing the LEFT eye files and then doing a text file replace on the premiere edit files to get the RIGHT eye edit.

But it's a fiddle. If there an editing app that had a dedicated support for 3D built right in, we'd switch in a heartbeat!

/ben

You probably have the cheapest and most efficent solution available in that price range. (<$50K) That is exactly how I would recommend doing most of your Stereoscopic work.

Steven Blye January 3rd, 2008 02:42 AM

Stereo3D Editing

There is a software made by a Japanese Programmer/3d Enthusiast named Masuji Suto. Although I have never used it, its is widely regarded as a wonderful tool. It can be found on his site stereo.jpn.org/eng/stvmkr. I was possibly unable to get the full string, but if you go to that site - as I am unable to do presently - I am sure you will find it.

The name of the tool is "Stereo Movie Maker". If you search the web you will find it is highly regarded. I am unsure if it is totally free, though I believe it to be.

In addition, Scratch by Assimilate allows you to edit 3D, but of course is very expensive.

Sorry, hadn't seen Stereo Movie Maker mentioned above.

Riku Naskali December 3rd, 2008 01:35 AM

I've used Stereo Movie Maker, but it's really buggy. Sometimes it crashes, sometimes when you use resample in easy adjustment, the adjustments won't get applied at all etc. And when I tried to encode high resolution video today, the left half of the video got messed up. It would be an awesome program if it worked properly :/

Prech Marton December 5th, 2008 01:17 AM

i use vegas8 with 2 video tracks, and
linking together the left/right view.
when rendering solo only the left track and render to new file, then solo
the right track and render to new file. Play with stereoscopic player :)
Another solution is to edit only one file/track, and after rendering, rename
the right_view.avi to left_view to avi, and render again.
this method requires that the 2 file are frame accurate in sync.
i dont recommend to use 2D (or not real 3D) transition in 3D production.

you can even watch the 3D content in anaglyph while editing, because you can
colorize the 2 track with fx to red/cyan, and vegas support ADD, SCREEN, etc. compositing mode between tracks.

hope this helps!
Marton