DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   Low cost solution for Pro Cameras like HM700 ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/307544-low-cost-solution-pro-cameras-like-hm700.html)

Marcello Mazzilli August 22nd, 2009 03:12 AM

Low cost solution for Pro Cameras like HM700 ?

Hi, I am starting to get interested in 3D video.. I found easy solution around with the STEREOCAM (mirror + sync LCDs = interlaced 3D).. but it seems it is only for small cameras (it comes with a 37mm thread). I understand PRO cameras like my HM700 are bigger so the mirror has to be more complicate because a simple side mirror like the stereocam will have the camera and the "virtual camera" to far from each other... but.. do I really have to spend 20K$ for a mirror rig system? Nobody has invented some sort of Stereocam (200$ !!!) for bigger cameras, pro lenses, etc.. ?

Tim Dashwood August 22nd, 2009 08:25 AM

The Stereocam or NuView can only sync to the highest field rate of the camera (or frame rate in the case of 720p60) so panning/tilting and fast action will probably be out of the question. I don't own one but I understand the way it works is that it takes video sync from the camera and uses liquid crystal shutters to switch to left/right at that rate, so half of the frames/fields are left and the other half are right. It was originally designed for interlaced SD video cameras, but I would imagine it should also work with 1080i60 and 720p60, assuming the downconverted composite out is actually in-sync with the recording.
The stereocam would fit on the HM100 with a step down ring!

For the HM700 you can mount them side by side. I've done it with the HD100 cameras (see another thread around in this forum for photos.) It also isn't out of the question to make your own beamsplitter rig out of a teleprompter if you have some welding skills. A beam splitter is just a two-way mirror, but usually made of 50/50 glass. Teleprompters probably use something more like 70/30.

Marcello Mazzilli August 24th, 2009 01:46 AM

Thanks Tim. I mounted side by side 2 Sony Z1 (I got 2 of those) but it was not working. The center of the image of the 2 cameras are too far from each other.. about 7 inches (I use centimetres here) and the 3D was working only for a small area (very central and quite far from the camera). Stereocam needs a field mode camera (no progressive).. at least that is what they say. But for the rest it seems really good and easy to use. The point is that it has a 37mm thread. You can downsize any camera but you'll get a vignette effect and loose all the potentials of a better camera. Stereocam costs 250$.. I would quite willingly buy a similar thing for pro cameras at 800-1000$ but pro rigs/mirrors around cost 10K or more.
I don't understand aout the teleprompter (orry I am not english). You are saying I can or I cannot make it with a Teleprompter. If so.. how. Even with a 50/50 transparency this is fixed and not activated with LCDs etc...