DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   3-D filmmaking, WHAT? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/41305-3-d-filmmaking-what.html)

Yi Fong Yu March 17th, 2005 11:16 AM

3-D filmmaking, WHAT?

Quote:

On an interesting side note, Cameron also spoke about his passion for 3-D filmmaking. He and fellow director George Lucas are spearheading an effort to get movie theaters around the world to upgrade not only to digital projection, but also to add the capability to exhibit films in 3-D format. In fact, Cameron and Lucas are hosting a demonstration of the 3-D process for theater owners at the ShoWest convention in Las Vegas this week (in addition to CG-animated 3-D films, Lucas's people have reportedly developed a way to render 3-D versions of existing 2-D films). Cameron says that this is the main reason he's waited so long to begin production on his next major theatrical film - a live action version of the Japanese anime Battle Angel Alita. Cameron plans to shoot the film digitally in 3-D format. What's more, he says that Lucas and other filmmakers (like Robert Zemeckis and possibly Peter Jackson too) are also planning to shoot 3-D films in the future. They expect that the availability of good 3-D feature film content will drive interest in the 3-D experience theatrically, and that in turn could fuel demand for bringing the 3-D process into the home as well. Cameron noted that both HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc (and current DVD as well) could be adapted to deliver 3-D footage, but that the main obstacle to high-quality 3-D at home is the low refresh rate of current TV monitors. Displays offering much higher rates (96Hz) will be needed in the future to show flicker-free 3-D images in your living rooms.
source: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwoc...00.html#titanc

what kind of crack are they on?

Christopher C. Murphy March 17th, 2005 11:33 AM

It's the crack of dawn dood....a new day in cinema!

Yi Fong Yu March 17th, 2005 02:03 PM

yeah but, 3-D? do they mean the old blue+red glasses we have to wear for EVERY SINGLE film?

i've read about these 3-D technology from 2D panels, but i don't think it's gonna work with audiences. sure they might be curious but i don't think it'll work in long-term. unless holographic technology (a la star trek) comes out, we'll be dealing with 2-D film projection for a very long time.

Mitchell Stookey March 17th, 2005 02:06 PM

I love 3D

Last year in Vancouver I saw Space Station 3D on IMAX. It was incredible! And the part that was really amazing wasn't that objects came out of the screen, but that there was depth to the entire movie. Every single scene was like I was standing there instead of the camera, it was unbelievable. If every movie today had depth like that, it would be an entire new experience going to the theatre. It'd be like virtual reality or something, you'd be there yourself. Space Station 3D blew me away, and I would LOVE it if every hollywood movie were filmed that way.

EDIT - BTW the glasses weren't blue and red, but there were glasses. They are similar to sun glasses that they are just darker a bit.

Luis Caffesse March 17th, 2005 02:12 PM

"Space Station 3D blew me away, and I would LOVE it if every hollywood movie were filmed that way."

I second that!
I saw it at the IMAX theater here, and was also completely blown away. When done right, and with the right subject matter, nothing can really compete with 3-D to truly immerse you in a movie.

"BTW the glasses weren't blue and red, but there were glasses. They are similar to sun glasses that they are just darker a bit."

They use polarized lenses, so that the right eye only sees the image projected from one projector, and the left only sees the image from the other.

The only thing that I find a problem with 3-d, especially in the case of IMAX, is that it is very tiring on your eyes. The reason is, things seemed to have such real depth to them, that you feel as though you can look around the same way you would if you were really at that location. The problem is, if the background is out of focus, I found myself still trying to focus on it sometimes, and straining my eyes to do so. It's not as smooth on the eyes and 2D imagery is, and it's much more difficult to lead viewers eyes in a specific direction using focus, etc.

just my 2 cents.

Christopher C. Murphy March 17th, 2005 02:33 PM

When I was a kid (back in the 70's - right on!) - I saw a 3D movie in the theater. I can't remember what it was...but, it had this one shot where a ring came flying toward you.

Does anyone recall that movie? It had to have been pre-80's, but it might have been 80 or 81. We had to wear glasses....it might have been a Disney movie??

3D Cinema is going to do for movies what Cinemascope and color did for it back in the 50's. I know the 3D thing was tried then too, but now they've got it down. As a matter of fact, the latest I've read is that they don't need the hokey glasses anymore. It's a matter of optics, projection and room lighting....all controlable via filmmakers and theaters. The theaters are scared of losing people...to many other things to do. So, 3D is definately on their radar...it's the only thing that will drive people in. The "blockbusters" will be 3D...can't do that at home. (yet)

Yi Fong Yu March 17th, 2005 09:31 PM

i dunno where i can find the article now but they do have a way of making 3D without the glasses now on 2D displays. just lean to the right or left and you see depth. but i think that won't add to the film watching experience unless it was interactive like holographs in star trek. if it IS interactive (like 3D games) THEN it makes sense to have full on 3D. but if it's 2D, what's the point?

Christopher C. Murphy March 18th, 2005 09:25 AM

All the Star Wars in 3D at a theater near you!

Holy crap!

Lucas to re-release ALL the Star Wars movies in the theater in 3D! Click this link for more info:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=41362

This will be the coolest thing since the advent of color cinema!!!

Mitchell Stookey March 18th, 2005 10:02 AM

uh-oh

You should be handing out diapers with that information because I honestly need to change my pants now! Hooray for 3D, Star Wars, George Lucas, 2007, and the great idea of combining them all!

Christopher C. Murphy March 18th, 2005 04:31 PM

Lol, I've changed my diaper twice already!

Heath McKnight March 20th, 2005 09:27 PM

http://aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=19688

I know this is a cross-post, but I think it helps to illuminate some stuff.

heath