DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   The Volunteer 3d Teaser (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/480835-volunteer-3d-teaser.html)

Ryan Sheffer June 23rd, 2010 02:28 PM

The Volunteer 3d Teaser

Below is a link to both the 3d and 2d versions of the teaser I have made for the movie I'm pitching.

Shot on two 7ds using a homemade side by side rig.

Edited in Final Cut. All stereography and compositing work done in After Effects.

Scripts used in After Effects can be found here.

Many thanks to Mr. Keller for those scripts!

Tim Dashwood's plugin used for previewing within final cut after creating a side by side 3d image in After Effects. Many thanks to Mr. Dashwood for his incredible work.

3d:
YouTube - The Volunteer 3D

2d:
YouTube - The Volunteer 2D

All VFX/stereo work/compositing were done by me. This was my first leap into 3d and there was a definite learning curve!

Pavel Houda June 23rd, 2010 04:03 PM

Hi Ryan. Great work! Unfortunately, the 3D version on YouTube looks L/R reversed to me.

Ryan Sheffer June 23rd, 2010 04:14 PM

What method are you using to view the 3d.? I have a Zalman Trimon 22" monitor I use for the interlaced version and it appears fine.

Ryan Sheffer June 23rd, 2010 04:26 PM

Interesting. Not reversed on my Zalman polarized screen, but reversed on my DLP. Is this a common issue?

Ryan Sheffer June 23rd, 2010 04:32 PM

Realized the issue. Youtube has two interlace settings. One appears to be L/R reversed. That appears to be what I had my video set to preview in.

Pavel Houda June 23rd, 2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Sheffer (Post 1541640)
What method are you using to view the 3d.? I have a Zalman Trimon 22" monitor I use for the interlaced version and it appears fine.

I used "cross-eye" and anaglyph(s). Needed to view "parallel" or reverse the glasses to have the video correct. You already found the issue. Cool work as I said originally. Sorry for bringing the reversal up, I thought you might want to know...

Ryan Sheffer June 23rd, 2010 04:46 PM

Very glad you brought it up. Thanks!

Video should be working now!

Mathew Orman June 24th, 2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

All VFX/stereo work/compositing were done by me. This was my first leap into 3d and there was a definite learning curve!
There is no a single scene with correct stereoscopic geometry.
May be you should learn fundamentals of human stereoscopic vision first?
But do not worry, the now famous AVATAR does not have a single undistorted scene either (-:

Mathew Orman

Paul Hatcher July 2nd, 2010 02:23 AM

I think Andrew Kramer deserves a very large credit!

Tim Dashwood July 2nd, 2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Sheffer (Post 1541617)
Many thanks to Mr. Keller for those scripts!

Tim Dashwood's plugin used for previewing within final cut after creating a side by side 3d image in After Effects. Many thanks to Mr. Dashwood for his incredible work.

Thanks Ryan. I'm not sure if you realized it (we don't do a great job at marketing this aspect) but Stereo3D Toolbox also works in After Effects CS3, CS4 or CS5 on the Mac, so you don't even need FCP. In fact, you don't even need those AE scripts. I wasn't even aware of those scripts until you linked to the Vimeo video. They are cool (and free of course) but there are a lot of layers and comps to keep track of. If you work in Windows then they are probably the only choice available and Christoph Keller has done a great job at providing a solution for those users.
I will have to do more video tutorials targeted at AE because it really is the compositing and finishing app of choice for most people.

Alister Chapman July 2nd, 2010 02:52 PM

I can't fault the compositing and graphics work, but there is way too much disparity in the 3D. You are also doing some pretty fast cutting between scenes with completely different depth brackets which causes the 3D illusion to be lost momentarily around the cut point. There are also the inevitable sync issues associated with non sync cameras. If you watch the anaglyph these become very plain to see as camera shake often moves in opposite directions between left and right eyes.

If your looking to do work for theatrical release or television you should consider the screen size. The amount of positive dissparity in some parts of the clip will be impossible to comfortably view on anything bigger than a 30" screen. Discovery and Sky 3D are working to maximum limits of +5 and -2% and averages of 4% to allow for larger screen sizes and possible theatrical presentation. Remember you can never have more than 60mm of left/right separation on the screen.

Less is more with stereoscopic production. You really don't need or even want massive amounts of dissparity. It's hard to watch comfortably, un-natural and gives all kinds of other issues. The best stereoscopic productions tend to be those that use only small amounts of dissparity as these are the least stressful and tiring to watch, which then gives the viewer the ability to explore the depth in each shot more easily. For the types of scenes in the clip you really need a mirror rig or much smaller interaxial setup, probably IMHO in the 40 to 60 mm range, less for the close ups.