DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   GoPro 3D Hero Kit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/487779-gopro-3d-hero-kit.html)

Pavel Houda November 20th, 2010 01:39 PM

GoPro 3D Hero Kit

GoPro now Claims that they'll be shipping their 3D kit with "sync" soon:

GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports

Video of the kit is here: YouTube - NAB 2010 yt3D - GoPro Hero, True HD and NEW 3D Arrangement

and here:

Frank Stearns November 21st, 2010 10:11 AM

I'm anxiously awaiting details on exactly how they are going to implement this "3D Kit"

Adam Stanislav November 21st, 2010 11:19 AM

They have been talking about it for at least a year now. I certainly would like to see it done. The Hero is not a professional video camera despite its name, though. It cannot shoot at 24p, and it does not have HDMI or SDI outputs, so it cannot be connected to a nanoFlash.

It was designed for extreme sports and those who use it for that purpose seem to love it.

Giroud Francois November 21st, 2010 02:05 PM

but if they can provide a way to slave and sync a camera to another, they would be far ahead .

Pavel Houda November 22nd, 2010 09:29 AM

In this video, YouTube - USC Ski & Snowboard - 3D Edit! , I see some vertical misalignment, but the sync seems pretty good. I don't know the guts of these cameras, but since there is no active display or constant video out, the actual sensor sampling could be slaved to actual "start record" signal, rather than to applied power, which would make it much easier to start simultaneously and would not have as much opportunity for drift between the two.

Adam Stanislav November 22nd, 2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel Houda (Post 1590672)
I see some vertical misalignment

That is because they moved the cameras without keeping them vertically aligned at all times. Judging by the video description, calling it an experiment, they did not even know they were supposed to keep them aligned at all times. Most people do not realize there is more to 3D then using two cameras. :)

At any rate, that was not yet the much touted 3D Hero, it was just two Heroes. I saw the filmmaker's shadow at one point, where you could see their setup.

I am still waiting for GoPro to release the 3D Hero. I cannot afford a second Sony EX-3 at this time, but I should be able to afford a 3D Hero.

Pavel Houda November 22nd, 2010 12:13 PM

I care mainly about the sync capability of the rig, and was referring to Giroud's comment about sync. I am happy it is capable of being pretty decent. They say it will be available early 2011, so I hope it will be at CES, at least pre-orderable and hopefully at good discounts. Last year they were selling the cameras there for $100-off each, and selling lot of them in pairs, because they were showing the 3D setups so much, so people didn't expect a year of delay. I hope they will have nice discounts there this year. Just hoping, no data, except that they finally show "coming soon" of their web site.

Arnie Schlissel November 24th, 2010 03:33 PM

They've been talking about this for a long time, now. If they're finally ready to release a good sync system, then the Go Pro finally becomes a very workable, very cheap option for S3D, despite the limits of the camera itself.

Alister Chapman November 27th, 2010 01:54 PM

I believe they are able to use the multi-pin expansion connector on the rear of the camera to send sync from one camera to the other.